NGD: S2 DC 594 in Scarlet Red!

MA Pete

Pattern Thin Convert!
Well, another 594 NGD. As the club President, I do from the Club By-Laws have an obligation to buy and review all new models for the Club Members.

pBfhPzb.jpg

OXDgXgT.jpg

ENanGvk.jpg

ikXMUoA.jpg

qVAMRKo.jpg

Very impressive guitar for the price!!

Initial thoughts:
  • Tuners, bridge, frets are reportedly the same
  • Inlays are a plastic material, you don't really notice unless you are looking for that
  • From the back, you can't really tell it is not a Core guitar, except the covers are a little different
  • Neck Carve feels identical
  • Pretty sure this is a Nitro finish, feels great
  • The pickups sound pretty good! Sound good split as well
  • The color is cool!
  • Feels rock solid
  • Thank goodness it doesn't come with a case, I am running out of places to put cases... ;)

Amazing that this guitar is less than half of the price of a Core one. PRS is going to sell GAZILLIONS of these!

(I dropped it off with my tech for a setup with my favorite strings, so I won't see it again until next week.)

I got it for where I learn stuff with the computer, when I do that I always at risk banging the body and headstock into the desk edge, and I don't want to ding one of the Core guitars.

I would have gone for the Thinline, but I wanted the Pattern Vintage Neck Carve.

Well done, PRS!!

Looks great, congrats!
Hoping to hear your thoughts on sonic differences.

The biggest difference I detected sonically in a quick A/B with my Yellow Tiger 2020 DC was that the bridge pickup was hotter on the S2. Makes sense, these are the 5815S pickups, presumably wound to the 5815 spec, not the 5815 LT spec. I would guess the bridge is somewhere from 8.5-9.0K.

I adore the regular 5815s, pre-LTs they were my favorite PRS pickup, so when I found them to be similar, that was a complement. :)

I won't be feeling the need to "upgrade" these pickups.

I want to be a part of the club with a singlecut version, but I'm afraid the neck will be a lot fatter than I can handle (not that my hands are small, but because I have to play a lot of single note stuff with my thumb behind the neck, rather than the hand wrapping around it).

Wow looks great.
How is the body thickness and weight? Is it noticeably thicker or heavier than a custom?

The Thinline one is calling my name. I just wish it didn’t come with a thin neck.

100% agree! I wish they offered the Thinline with a choice of a WT or the Pattern Vintage. WT is a showstopper for me. :(

Wow looks great.
How is the body thickness and weight? Is it noticeably thicker or heavier than a custom?

Yes, thicker than a Custom and thus on average heavier. I didn't weigh it before taking it to the tech.

I am used to the thicker body of the DC 594 and weight on average of 7.5 to just over 8 pounds for this model (in Core Guitars), as my #1 was been the 594s since 2016. I also play the SC 594s, so the DCs always seem lightweight and svelte to me. ;)

The Thinline would be the one if you would want if you want a thinner lighter weight one. I believe that one is more so the Custom thickness.

If you are fine with the Wide Thin Neck Carve on that version. :)

Back