NGD - S2 594 Thinline

show_a_little_faith

There's nothing like life
So I told myself I was done after I bought my Core 594 Singlecut. Then, I said I was *really* done after I bought the Core Hollowbody Piezo. Then...I started reading up on the S2 Thinline, and was intrigued by the thinner neck carve, and thinner/lighter body. Came across this custom-colored Cherry Burst and decided to go for it. NOW, this time, really-for-sure, I'm done!...(I think)

20220618-114414.jpg

It's crazy how much more RED it looks in direct sunlight:
20220618-113815.jpg

And for comparison, here's the dealer's pic:
TL-Body-bright.jpg

Even without any fancy flame maple, I really like the swirly grain patterns, front and back
20220618-113940.jpg

It's my first S2, and I've got to say I'm very happy. I was wary of the bevel-carve, but it's actually quite comfortable. I'm digging the slightly thinner neck, and *my* neck & shoulders are loving the lighter weight body. I've always liked the 58/15-S pickups in my SE Hollowbodys, so I knew more or less what to expect with them here, and they're a great match with the all-mahogany body.

The Singlecut and his skinny little brother!
Mc-Carty-Brothers.jpg

Congratulations. Have you noticed any tonal differences between the 2 guitars? I am with the others - I doubt you are done.;)
Enjoy

She's a beauty - congrats. Rock on proudly! I'm also curious about tonal differences between your new Thinline and your core 594, so let us know.
Just finished an epic performance with the new Thinline (in my basement by myself ;)). This guitar definitely rocks! I didn't bust out the scale and actually weigh any of them, but in the "feel" test it was very close to my hollowbodys, which is awesome because I thought my days of being able to stand and play a solidbody were pretty much behind me.

As for comparing to the tone of the Core: I'd say the Core was *slightly* warmer, but to my ears not drastically so. The Core was also a little quieter, and both of these I'd attribute to the LT (low-turn) variation of the pickups that are in the Cores. Given that it's a singlecut, they're also the "+" versions, but I can't say I noticed anything specific due to that. Using a little boost pedal with the Core, or slightly rolling back the volume and tone on the S2 blurs the lines between them even further.

Keep in mind, 95% of my playing is playing with other instruments (backing tracks, CD's, etc.). In isolation, perhaps subtle differences are more apparent. But how much does that matter if you're playing in the context of a band? More important to me it what it sounds like in that mix.

And I will be the first to admit that my ears aren't the most sensitive & discerning. I can certainly tell the difference between single coils and humbuckers, or a bridge vs neck. I've swapped out pickups before because they weren't what I was looking for. But there are plenty of times watching demo/shootout type videos where others seem to perceive very slight differences that I just don't hear. Maybe it's the speakers I'm listening through. Maybe after 30+ years of playing my hearing's diminished. Maybe some of these guys of full of crap, and are just claiming to hear things that they think they're supposed to ("this guitar costs 3-4 times as much as the other, so it *must* sound better!" :rolleyes:). Probably a combination of all those factors and more.

Bottom line, my opinion is the S2, with it's 58/15-S pickups sounds excellent, and very similar to the Core with it's 58/15 LT+ pickups. Exactly the same? No. But very close. YMMV. I'd advise anyone who's hesitant about an S2 because the pickups aren't exactly what's in the Cores to get some hands-on time themselves with both. You might find yourself very happy with a much more (comparatively) affordable guitar.

Great Guitar ...

I have an Tobacco Burst, and I love it. It fights for Favorite Guitar" honors with my SE Hollowbodies !:)

I have this "thing" , about backing up stuff I really like... So I'm thinking my next major guitar purchase, will be a Cherry Thinline.

All of what you pointed out above (the diminutive size , the 24.594" scale, and the overall high quality finish of the guitar) make it my Fave ...

The only bummer for me is ,the 2d guitar, will cost some $200.00 more than the first ... :(

I've given up on the lust for a flamey-stripey version, as the grain in some of these can truly obviate the need for that

AND ... Congrats for NOT bashing the pickups . They have a different aural balance than what I'll call the typical PRS lover expects (an 85/15 like brightness and maybe boomy bass) The 58/15s version are darker, with more of a mid-range balance that I find more to my liking

Although , I had the "brain-storm /brain-fart(?) that #2 Thinline, should get a " slightly different voice" A set of PU's that share the same qualities, but a bit different.

Maybe SD 59 Neck / ' 59 Custom Hybrid Bridge ... and put its 58/15S set , in my backup SE CU 24 ...;)

I'm going to put something in the 2d SE CU24 and a set of 58/15S' s there would work for me .

HEY ... Maybe that way, I get my 2d S2Thinline ... AND save having to spend $200.00 for the replacement CU 24 pickups !!!

Sounds like a plan ... :cool:

AND ... Congrats for NOT bashing the pickups . They have a different aural balance than what I'll call the typical PRS lover expects (an 85/15 like brightness and maybe boomy bass) The 58/15s version are darker, with more of a mid-range balance that I find more to my liking
It's funny you mention that. Personally, I find the 85/15's too bright. I like a more mid-rangey, box-y bark/growl (man, describing sound can be weird). To each their own, and obviously plenty of folks love the 85/15's. That's why it's awesome we've got such variety to choose from, something for everyone!
And I'm also totally with you on the "backup" version of your gear. If 1 is good, two is better! And before I found this thinline in the cherry burst, I was leaning toward the Vintage Cherry that you're looking at. They look great, and you're right - although I love a 10 Top flame or quilt, the all mahogany can look very nice too. I shied away from the solid paint colors they also have for the thinlines for that very reason - I wanna see that wood!

Respect-wood.jpg

So I told myself I was done after I bought my Core 594 Singlecut. Then, I said I was *really* done after I bought the Core Hollowbody Piezo. Then...I started reading up on the S2 Thinline, and was intrigued by the thinner neck carve, and thinner/lighter body. Came across this custom-colored Cherry Burst and decided to go for it. NOW, this time, really-for-sure, I'm done!...(I think)

20220618-114414.jpg

It's crazy how much more RED it looks in direct sunlight:
20220618-113815.jpg

And for comparison, here's the dealer's pic:
TL-Body-bright.jpg

Even without any fancy flame maple, I really like the swirly grain patterns, front and back
20220618-113940.jpg

It's my first S2, and I've got to say I'm very happy. I was wary of the bevel-carve, but it's actually quite comfortable. I'm digging the slightly thinner neck, and *my* neck & shoulders are loving the lighter weight body. I've always liked the 58/15-S pickups in my SE Hollowbodys, so I knew more or less what to expect with them here, and they're a great match with the all-mahogany body.

The Singlecut and his skinny little brother!
Mc-Carty-Brothers.jpg
Absolutely beautiful! Congrats. But "done"? One is never done...

I've given up on the lust for a flamey-stripey version, as the grain in some of these can truly obviate the need for that
Hey CAM, surprised you say that cuz you were so into getting some TL's made with the maple laminate "flames-stripey." For a while, I thought the same, but only for a brief while. I love the grain in my Cherry Bomb, and that Vintage Cherry color helps that grain pop. But, to each ...
I shied away from the solid paint colors they also have for the thinlines for that very reason - I wanna see that wood!
Agree completely. Besides, TWSS :)

I placed 58/15 LT in my thin line. I honestly had a very hard time discerning the two in this guitar. Which to me says it’s not worth upgrading the pickups in this model.

' Ya Know ... I think the 58/15S biggest problem .... Is that people know its made in Asia ... Therefore , its gotta sound "bad"

Kinda like the "Asian" pots in the SE and S2 lines ... They gotta be "bad" 'cause they are made in Asia. (But let's not tell them that even the CTS pots in the Cores ... Are also made in Asia ... ) :) (Albeit it to a higher specification ,and therefore cost a bit more )

The taper on cores is much better for Pots. And pickup selector tips are far better than cheaper versions in S2/SE. But pickup wise it varies by model. For this I liked the 58/15s and reinstalled them. Kept the LTs for another future project

Back