NGD...PS "Do-Over"

Tosca

Zombie 10, DFZ
So I first spotted this beauty on Brian's Guitars site...I was looking for a Cu24 McThick...not necessarily a PS. I was struck by the very straight/fine/tight flame on this, and it has flamed maple binding, which I love. It also has 53/10 pickups which is what I was looking for. Brian had it around for a while...the color fading was a bit of an issue, and of course Brian being the great guy he is, was very up front about it. He also offered me a great deal. According to the PS spec sheet this was supposed to be faded "Aqua Violet Smoked Burst", apparently the color continued to fade even more...Brian listed it as Northern Lights...which is a closer description of the actual color in these original pics...

I procrastinated for a while...but kept coming back to this to admire that beautiful flame top.

Then Brian let me know that the PS team had agreed to refinish the guitar...in the color of my choice and that I could even add on some features if I wanted....
Well....what would you do?

I decided that one of their colors with mixed shades would work best on the outstanding flame. I'm a big fan of the PRS Purple varieties, and a few recent PS builds in Ultraviolet had caught my eye. The way that the violet, blue and pink shades in this finish just separate/blend over this flame is really just stunning. Made a few minor cosmetic changes, also managed to beg successfully for a Gen 3 Locking tremolo bridge upgrade and they agreed to my favorite switching modification for the 5 way blade, which allows for all single coil sounds/combinations, just like a 408. I really wanted this mod, as I love the 53/10 single coil sounds. The finish is HG nitro, except for the neck which is satin Nitro finish. Couldn't really be any happier with how this one came out if I had gone to the vault and spec'd it out myself...which it almost feels like I did...sort of. Thanks again to the PS team, and especially to Brian...you are the man!!!

I was thinking of single coil options but wasn't sure how that would play with the blade. 5 way gives you most of it - good thinking.
I also forgot about ultra violet. I agree that the flame begs for mixed colour. Great choice. I'm looking forward to the result.

Congrats Tosca. Another mental good score. Brian G rules the PS action.
Such a great looking fiddle, before and after. Gotta let be the willingness to change it up for you too. Everything I read on here just confirms that Brian is a top notch guys, and PRS is just phenomenal when it comes to taking care of the customer. Congrats all the way around.

Outstanding! I love the 53/10s also. And as you know, I'm a fan of the Gen III trem, too.

I'd love to hear clips of this one, when you have the time. It's fantastic.

Congratulations, and enjoy it in the best of health!

The scary thing is I think both are awesome but I really like the purple and the mixed color hardware. Enjoy it!

What great ideas, and great execution!! Additionally, that UltraViolet color is stunning!! I had decided on Sage for my next PS. Now have to throw UV into the mix. I also really want to try the 53/10s. Does anyone know if those are available for a new PS build. I had thought not.

Congratulations, and enjoy it!!!

Kevin

Back