NGD- PS#4615 "Afterglow"

Dancing Frog

Senior 513 Whore
You've probably seen her pop up on Private Stock Friday, or....
IMG_0128.jpg
IMG_0205.jpg

....You've seen her on facebook
132700_10152634405415639_166027657_o.jpg

I wanted a guitar to play in the orchestra pit and to commemorate my 30 years at NASA. I was going to go small, but Brian Meader pushed me to go big. The idea was to create a nebula in wood. The color and figure was picked to match Hubble Space Telescope pictures.
So, I wound up with these specs at the end of August.
PublicCertificate.jpg

Picked out the wood at the experience. Yeah, she started out with a different PS number???
IMG_1222.jpg

Well, she went down to Texas last week, met a friend, and had a few glamor shots taken.
003.jpg

IMG_8434.jpg

IMG_8449.jpg

IMG_8450.jpg

IMG_8431.jpg

Last edited:
Then, she went on the road in some of the worst weather in the last month. She made it through 7 days of cold and arrived here yesterday afternoon.
AfterglowHeadstock.jpg

CloseAngleHomeFront.jpg

HomeFront.jpg

Neck2.jpg

BackofHeadstock.jpg

HomeBack.jpg

Unfortunately, she's got to go back to PRS to have some things fixed. The cold may have broken some solder joints in the electronics, but everything else is peachy. Many thanks to Brian Meader, Paul Miles, Tina Benson, and the Private Stock Team. And, soon to be Shawn again.

Last edited:
Looks awesome! Is it in your hands yet?

Ooops. I posted before you finished. Sorry to hear that. Going to be killer!

I absolutely love this finish and top! I thought mine had some crazy electronics. Congrats again!

So Bangin'... Are the mini toggles MIDI up and down? You guys did a great job with the whole "kitchen sink" aesthetics, it doesn't look overwhelming at all. This one and the one Gian just got in have got me geeked again on all kinds of knobs and switches, PRS makes it look.....elegant.

So Bangin'... Are the mini toggles MIDI up and down? You guys did a great job with the whole "kitchen sink" aesthetics, it doesn't look overwhelming at all. This one and the one Gian just got in have got me geeked again on all kinds of knobs and switches, PRS makes it look.....elegant.
This is how it works....This is an early concept layout. The idea was to put the MIDI controls in same place as a guitar with a GK-3 divided pick up which I am familiar with, so there is minimal retraining of muscle memory necessary.
Switchlayout.jpg

They wound up actually closer to those positions than I thought they could get.

This is what the inside looks like.
IMG_0214.jpg

Pretty frightening. Eh?

Last edited:
I totally get it.. it's like I can see that GK triangle in my mind. The possibilities beyond "acoustic" and "Synth" guitar could be incredible... MFX units controlled without a pedalboard.. like you in a cab with this in a gig bag an' your AxeFX, with nothing else... Cool.

Absolutely fantastic guitar, and the ideas you had the PS team build in are extremely well thought out!

I'm utterly impressed!

Wow, that nothing short of spectacular. Congrats on your 30 years and a stellar guitar(see what I did there?)! Hope you get her back soon :)

I totally get it.. it's like I can see that GK triangle in my mind. The possibilities beyond "acoustic" and "Synth" guitar could be incredible... MFX units controlled without a pedalboard.. like you in a cab with this in a gig bag an' your AxeFX, with nothing else... Cool.
If it were in the sky, it would be an asterism. It's almost like those knobs are four young hot stars whose light is illuminating the reflection nebula behind them. That couldn't be intentional, could it? ;)
The_Trapezium_Cluster_%28Wallpaper%29.jpg

I think you'd need a little more to implement advanced MIDI control than an just Axe-FX II. You need a something that translates the signals from the divided pick up into MIDI like a Roland Synth or an Axon unit. But, there is no reason that you could not go where you want to go. The guy who was doing Foley work for the Simpson's was using a MIDI Bass to trigger samples during final recording. He had them keyed by string and pitch.

Last edited:
Dude, the guitar is obviously awesome...... But all the nerd factor in the electronics and the space references that have turned from concept to reality make this one so special!!! Well done Sir!!!

By the way..... Just to be clear..... I used the term 'Nerd' in the highest regard!!! :)

Back