NGD: PRS Studio 10-Top in Eriza Verde!

Patrick Montgomery

Just one more...
I’ve been looking at the old studio models for about three years and could never find one in Eriza Verde. When I saw the one on the virtual launch event earlier this year, I knew I had to have one. Countless phone calls and a lot of website refreshes later and I managed to grab one of the first ones of the new studio model. I’m in love with this thing.

5KaEZiM.jpg

eE8SLvW.jpg

6qEPTMb.jpg

xDbPdQB.jpg

sf0aLTy.jpg

FDwfzgB.jpg

Of the greens, I've always been partial to Trampas Green, myself. However, I can definitely see Eriza Verde overtaking it as the next great green PRS finish. A great subtle burst and exciting bright-but-not-too-bright pop of color.

I think Trampas Green might be my least favorite green on most PRS Guitars, but there are some where I do like it and on those I REALLY like it. My wife likes Trampas Green the best.

yes,Yes, YES! Gorgeous. I've been looking at those, still not into the Wide Thin neck.

Have you played it? What's it sound like?

Tell me about those pickups. Are they minbuckers?
Those are “Narrowfield” pickups, aka. “57/08 narrowfields.” They were introduced around 2010 and put on several models at the time, and then discontinued for a while. They’ve been reintroduced for some of the newer models.

They’re PRS’s own unique design—not the same as a Gibson mini-humbucker or a P90/soapbar. Rather, they’re a full-humbucker shrunken in width so as to sense a narrower portion of the string, closer to what a single-coil would see. (Regular full-width humbuckers are “imperfect” in a sense, in that they inherently cancel out some of the very high frequencies/presence due to their design.) These seem to be aimed at the zero-hum nature of a true humbucker, but with a little bit more of the pure-single-coil essence. Best of both worlds, if you will.

yes,Yes, YES! Gorgeous. I've been looking at those, still not into the Wide Thin neck.

Have you played it? What's it sound like?

I’ve only been able to play it acoustically so far, but man is it resonant. We’re visiting with the in-laws this weekend so unfortunately I haven’t had the chance to plug her in. My father in law has some killer amps though and we plan to plug it in tonight.

Is the pattern the same as wide/thin? I like it, it’s pretty comfortable. My favorite is the pattern regular though, and the pattern vintage after that.

Nice, congrats! Pattern is the updated Wide/Fat, though I find it’s a bit thicker in most cases. Pattern Vintage is a bit thicker but has less shoulder. Pattern Regular is thinner than either plus is slightly more narrow at the nut. I currently own all three Of these neck carves. Pattern Thin is thinner but wider than Pattern Regular.

I
Nice, congrats! Pattern is the updated Wide/Fat, though I find it’s a bit thicker in most cases. Pattern Vintage is a bit thicker but has less shoulder. Pattern Regular is thinner than either plus is slightly more narrow at the nut. I currently own all three Of these neck carves. Pattern Thin is thinner but wider than Pattern Regular.
I think all of the PRS neck carves feel pretty good, I’ve never had trouble adjusting to any of them. Out of the 15 or so PRS I’ve had, I only had one I didn’t like the neck on. It was a 2019 SC594, and the neck was fatter than my current 594 and SC594s. It was one of the most beautiful guitars I’ve ever had though, see pic below.

dvfmW8j.jpg

O8xXHOO.jpg

I had a PS SH SC594 that the PV neck was clearly much larger than the one on my DC 594. It’s moved on as well. My custom P245T (avatar) has a PV neck carve and it’s perfect for me.

Those are “Narrowfield” pickups, aka. “57/08 narrowfields.” They were introduced around 2010 and put on several models at the time, and then discontinued for a while. They’ve been reintroduced for some of the newer models.

They’re PRS’s own unique design—not the same as a Gibson mini-humbucker or a P90/soapbar. Rather, they’re a full-humbucker shrunken in width so as to sense a narrower portion of the string, closer to what a single-coil would see. (Regular full-width humbuckers are “imperfect” in a sense, in that they inherently cancel out some of the very high frequencies/presence due to their design.) These seem to be aimed at the zero-hum nature of a true humbucker, but with a little bit more of the pure-single-coil essence. Best of both worlds, if you will.
Wouldn't a stacked single coil get you closer?

So basically we're looking at PRS version of

Lil78C-large.jpg.auto.webp

Back