NGD PRS Special 22 ltd semi hollow 10 top

Just went up from 10's to 11's on the guitar. The whammy didn't move too much. The only adjustment needed was a slight truss rod adjustment. Feels much better now.
I play a lot of jazz and 10's just feels too loose. 11's is the best of both worlds...

Just went up from 10's to 11's on the guitar. The whammy didn't move too much. The only adjustment needed was a slight truss rod adjustment. Feels much better now.
I play a lot of jazz and 10's just feels too loose. 11's is the best of both worlds...

Thanks for that info. I am used to 11s on my Gretsch Falcon. Just might try them on my Special 22 SH. Maybe even flat wounds.

Last edited:
Thanks for that info. I am used to 11s on my Gretsch Falcon. Just might try them on my Special 22 SH. Maybe even flat wounds.
I use flatwounds 12's on my two Collings Eastside's, not sure if I would do it on the PRS Special. To me flats makes sense on certain hollowbodies and thin lines, but it sort of narrows down the spectrum of sound. One of the strongpoints of the Special is that it is capable of so many different sounds and can get in to Strat and tele territory as well as thick Semi-Hollow hum buckers sounds. Not sure how it would work with flats, but it could be a fun experiment. At some point I might add another spring to the tremolo but it didn't move as much as I though going up a gauge.

Congrats, and welcome to the Association of Special Semi club....oops, my acronyms are showing! All that gubermint work, I guess! The SSH is an amazingly versatile guitar, and is light years ahead of the “G” 339, 336, or any smaller body semi hollow. I am trying to find a set of 58/15LT’s to make it my own personal nirvana, but other than taking them out of my 594 McCarty, I don’t see it happening. I put in a request with the Mothership, but I haven’t heard back yet....sorry for hacking your thread, but I couldn’t help it! You’re gonna love the SSH..long time! It’s become my personal fave, out of all my PRSi!

Congrats, and welcome to the Association of Special Semi club....oops, my acronyms are showing! All that gubermint work, I guess! The SSH is an amazingly versatile guitar, and is light years ahead of the “G” 339, 336, or any smaller body semi hollow. I am trying to find a set of 58/15LT’s to make it my own personal nirvana, but other than taking them out of my 594 McCarty, I don’t see it happening. I put in a request with the Mothership, but I haven’t heard back yet....sorry for hacking your thread, but I couldn’t help it! You’re gonna love the SSH..long time! It’s become my personal fave, out of all my PRSi!
Definitely a great guitar. My main guitar for jazz has been a Collings I-35lc which is a small 335 style guitar. The PRS is a very different guitar. Due to the smaller and thinner body on the PRS, the semi hollowness isn't as pronounced but it still can be felt and heard. I feel like the I-35lc and Special compliment each other well. There is a lot of sounds in the PRS with the middle pickup and all the combinations that can't be had in any of my other guitars. I love the whammy too. I bought it mainly as a pop/rock/studio and fusion guitars but it can definitely do a straight ahead jazz gig too, especially now that I have 11's on it.

Last edited:
Back