NGD PRS Silver Sky - QC Questions

Here's the response I got from the dealer after sending him the pics:

"It happens on them, but if you're not ok with it you can either exchange it for something else or send it back and I'll refund you once its here. I'll likely just re-list it with the lines in the bird inlays for $2900 instead of $3200

Thanks"

FYI, 2900 is the price I paid for the guitar, which was listed at 3200.

Email is a tricky thing, yet I'm not sure I'm thrilled with the response, or what I think is between the lines.

Thoughts?

IMO the reply seems fine considering how minor the hairline crack is.

It doesn't look like it's a guitar you'll ever be happy with at this point, no matter what the dealer does.
It didn't feel right in the first place and it could well be that a SS is just not right for you (nothing wrong with that, the vintage radius isn't for everyone).

You have the option to return it, do so.

IMO the reply seems fine considering how minor the hairline crack is.

It doesn't look like it's a guitar you'll ever be happy with at this point, no matter what the dealer does.
It didn't feel right in the first place and it could well be that a SS is just not right for you (nothing wrong with that, the vintage radius isn't for everyone).

You have the option to return it, do so.

You are missing the mark completely. I didn't say I didn't like the guitar. I said I was torn because I do like it.

Others have said: broken birds, quality defect, automatic return.

Store owner basically puts it on me.

Trying to gauge if in the problem or if the response leaves some to be desired.

I did say automatic return before for the birds.

However, apologies as I got confused with another SS thread on the playability aspect.
Also I just saw the 2nd pic of the bird and that one is pretty bad looking.

Still not sure what you are expecting in terms of dealer response. They offered to exchange it for something else, or refund; not clear if they are asking you to cover shipping to them though. If you were expecting an additional discount it doesn't look like they are eager to do that.

I wouldn't keep the cracked bird if it bothered me.

No one seemed to address this, but action isn't really an issue unless you paid extra for a setup.

As has been stated...it's up to you to decide if you want to keep the guitar or not. The dealer has offered what, if I'm understanding the email, seems to be what just about any other dealer would offer...replacement/exchange dollar for dollar for another guitar, or a full refund. Now that I've seen the pics of the birds, that's an automatic return for me. Whether or not I took cash or another instrument would depend on their inventory.

They have no other white ones with rosewood, and that's the one I like. I'll reorder when they have another one. I returned this one. Played great and liked it otherwise, but didn't feel like explaining the defects or taking a bath if I ever wanted to resell.

They have no other white ones with rosewood, and that's the one I like. I'll reorder when they have another one. I returned this one. Played great and liked it otherwise, but didn't feel like explaining the defects or taking a bath if I ever wanted to resell.

Annoying but you’ll be happier in the end. I don’t like that the dealer tried to pass it off as normal though (“it happens on them”) - I’ve never seen or heard of cracked birds before.

Hopefully another one comes along shortly for you!

I’ve never seen or heard of cracked birds before.

A Private Stock I bought in January had its MOP bird outlines cracking and falling off in shipping either from PRS to the dealer, or from the dealer to me (a PS thread picture shows birds being all good).
Sent it for repair, different birds cracked by the time I got it back. It was caused by a defective glue/resin, we sent it back to get it repaired and I went for a refund that 2nd time around (the dealer offered it)

Here's the response I got from the dealer after sending him the pics:

"It happens on them, but if you're not ok with it you can either exchange it for something else or send it back and I'll refund you once its here. I'll likely just re-list it with the lines in the bird inlays for $2900 instead of $3200

Thanks"

FYI, 2900 is the price I paid for the guitar, which was listed at 3200.

Email is a tricky thing, yet I'm not sure I'm thrilled with the response, or what I think is between the lines.

Thoughts?
That is messed up. I don't like that answer either.

New one coming in early next week. Apparently it would have been more than a year waiting for another white one, so Tungsten it is!

Hopefully it plays and sounds as nice as the white one!

Where is the crack? I don't see it.

Hairline crack at thinnest part of inlay (where tail meets body of bird).
eLlYH4L.jpeg

Are you on the USA? I am wondering why the price is so high.
OP is in Canada, as mentioned in the first post. Also "Different province" etc.

That was actually the one of the two birds with the tinier of the two cracks. The bigger bird on the 9th fret had a broken wing, much more visible.

Back