NGD PRS Silver Sky - QC Questions

HRC-E.B.

New Frost Silver Sky in! Says it was assembled Jan 4, 2021, but serial starts with a 20. Says it has the JM-R neck.

A couple questions on build, QC: the fit of the neck to the pocket isn't perfectly tight/aligned. See the photos. Is that within the normal, acceptable range for a PRS (in Canada, this costs 3 grand. For comparison, an Am Pro Fender is 2200).

Also, it's a very small detail, but a couple of the birds seem broken in two for some reason, which none of my S2 594 or SE SVN show.

The action is a little on the high side, but the guitar plays fine.

Would you consider these things normal fit and finish for a PRS in this line, or would you return and ask for a different one?

CMrX8ryq3ZBQBxSp6.jpg

a1djosYq3tgW2S346.jpg

knYYifKhsxGpgALL9.jpg

Aedhg46XgSzdufTT7.jpg

2m467LXStf9beHow5.jpg

Last edited:
Can't see the pics. Contact your dealer.

Of course, if I determine that my questions warrant further inquiry or action, I'll go through my dealer.

What I'm trying to gauge before that is whether I just have too critical an eye and these things are normal, or whether these are indeed issues that are not typical and that I should not accept.

Of course, if I determine that my questions warrant further inquiry or action, I'll go through my dealer.

What I'm trying to gauge before that is whether I just have too critical an eye and these things are normal, or whether these are indeed issues that are not typical and that I should not accept.

Still questions for your dealer. Only you can determine if you can accept the "issues" or not.

I still think my point isn't getting across. Do I have "anything" to talk to my dealer about or am I making up issues out of the ordinary?

Dealer is in a different province hundreds of miles away. I have no other such guitars to see in the flesh and compare mine with.

Before escalating this, I'm just trying to gauge the situation. Is that so hard to understand?

As far as the neck pocket goes , you would be surprised how tight it really is , when I removed the neck to set mine to floating trem it took a bit of force to remove it.
If you are unsatisfied in any way I would contact PTC they have always been more than helpful to me.

Cracked birds are more than enough for me to call my dealer, that is unacceptable.

the neck pocket looks fine from what I can see. I had a Fender American Professional where the gap made a good pick holder, but it was still a highly resonant guitar.

The neck pocket is good from what I can see. Looks like mine. I didn’t see any pics of broken birds though.

I would address it with the dealer right away, just see what they say. You don’t have to be demanding a refund or anything out of the gate. Just bring it to their attention. Figure out their return policy if you don’t already know it.

Not sure how common it is with PRS. I wouldn’t call it uncommon in general for bolt on necks. I had an old PRS swamp ash special that had a similar joint. I had it a good while and it didn’t suffer any lack of resonance or sustain. Maple can take longer to dry out. I’ve heard rumors of over a year for resins to crystallize. Possible the joint was tight at the build. PRS does good drying woods out but it can happen. Hard to say really. It’s really up to you if it bothers you or not.

Neck looks better than a strat i have that cost more :p. But I don’t care about pocket joints as long as it sounds good. Now broken birds? I didn’t see pics but that’s a deal breaker and instant return

My SS looks like that too. There's a little bit of a ledge on the treble side of the neck joint since the neck looks to be narrower than the body carve. I'd honestly never looked closely enough to see that, and it never struck me that anything was wrong with the guitar. I wouldn't worry about it unless things are actually moving around or if parts aren't aligned that should be.

Neck pocket looks fine. Your first pics do not show, do not see any "broken in two" birds

Neck pocket looks fine and similar I think to the ones I had, possibly better than some actually. Just like w/ Fender this will be highly variable, an ultra tight fit is not necessarily that good unless you like finish cracks/chips at the neck pocket.

Broken birds though, as others have said, would be an immediate return from me. Do you have a pic of them ?

Ooooh now I see the crack. My bad. Yep. Bye bye. Not acceptable. Should never have made it pass the dealer that way.

Do what do I do? I quite like the guitar otherwise.
You'll like the next one without cracked birds better.
Believe me, the replacement will feel, look, sound, and play just the same. That's the great thing about PRS, consistency.
Cracked birds notwithstanding.
Call the dealer and get it replaced. You are deserving of that. The other opportunity is to ask for a discount if the cracked birds don't pee you off.

Back