NGD ~ PRS SE Hollowbody Standard (slightly belated)

Jimi D

@ the hundredth meridian
I'm sure everyone will remember this pic from the tail end of my McCarty 594 Hollowbody NGD thread ;) :

vOVxtRw.jpg

Whelp, I've been living with my new Hollowbody SE Standard for a week now, and with the new tuners and knobs installed, here are my NGD pics and impressions. First the important stuff:

wMzns1O.jpg

TnSlFoq.jpg

Let me say this right out of the gate: one of these things is not like the others.

I've been reading some really great reviews of the SE Hollowbody line, and though I can't speak for all of the examples out there, I can say that this SE Hollowbody Standard is a fine guitar; the build quality is great, the tones are generous and kind to the ear, the neck is smooth and easy to navigate. Basically, it's a perfectly useable instrument with a solid build, attractive cosmetics and quality parts. What it's not is any kind of competition to a core Hollowbody. AFAIC, these are a very, very different class of guitar.

Which is not to say I in any way dislike my Hollowbody SE. In fact, I have no doubt I'll be reaching for this one first for some stuff (particularly Jazz - and especially Jazz in the Park!). It has a great, woody thump to the tone when thumb strumming that I really like, and the smooth, clear, articulate and round notes from the neck pickup are really delicious.

However, despite sharing the same "name", it's really a very different guitar to a core Hollowbody II or McCarty Hollowbody. We're familiar with the differences in construction, but what I wasn't really prepared for was how these instruments are even noticeably different sizes; you can't fit an SE Hollowbody in a core HB case, for instance, and a core HB will rattle around in the SE case. In the end, I don't feel the excellent design realized in the perfectly machined competence of the SE's assembly can really stand up to a detailed comparison with the artful finesse in a core build. But I'm keeping the SE because it's a great guitar in it's own right.

Finally, this one needed just a couple minor tweaks to my taste: the locking tuners just make life so much easier, and I like the idea and the look of the brass posts, though I couldn't tell you if there are any tonal differences as a result (none I heard, anyway). And, of course, I've become hooked on PRS lampshade knobs for their size and feel, so a couple of amber/black ones were required...

FWcIq02.jpg

hdNeMjt.jpg

Unfortunately, that’s not a standard. I have the piezo version in peacock blue, but it sounds markedly different from the all mahogany version.
True, although this isn't the Piezo either, it's the new color for the SE Hollowbody II so mahogany with maple cap & veneer. But yes, won't sound exactly like the all-hog one

I've been on the fence for a hollowbody PRS and didn't realize there were so many options. I think a Core is the ticket. Now to find one on the used market..

I'm sure everyone will remember this pic from the tail end of my McCarty 594 Hollowbody NGD thread ;) :

vOVxtRw.jpg

Whelp, I've been living with my new Hollowbody SE Standard for a week now, and with the new tuners and knobs installed, here are my NGD pics and impressions. First the important stuff:

wMzns1O.jpg

TnSlFoq.jpg

Let me say this right out of the gate: one of these things is not like the others.

I've been reading some really great reviews of the SE Hollowbody line, and though I can't speak for all of the examples out there, I can say that this SE Hollowbody Standard is a fine guitar; the build quality is great, the tones are generous and kind to the ear, the neck is smooth and easy to navigate. Basically, it's a perfectly useable instrument with a solid build, attractive cosmetics and quality parts. What it's not is any kind of competition to a core Hollowbody. AFAIC, these are a very, very different class of guitar.

Which is not to say I in any way dislike my Hollowbody SE. In fact, I have no doubt I'll be reaching for this one first for some stuff (particularly Jazz - and especially Jazz in the Park!). It has a great, woody thump to the tone when thumb strumming that I really like, and the smooth, clear, articulate and round notes from the neck pickup are really delicious.

However, despite sharing the same "name", it's really a very different guitar to a core Hollowbody II or McCarty Hollowbody. We're familiar with the differences in construction, but what I wasn't really prepared for was how these instruments are even noticeably different sizes; you can't fit an SE Hollowbody in a core HB case, for instance, and a core HB will rattle around in the SE case. In the end, I don't feel the excellent design realized in the perfectly machined competence of the SE's assembly can really stand up to a detailed comparison with the artful finesse in a core build. But I'm keeping the SE because it's a great guitar in it's own right.

Finally, this one needed just a couple minor tweaks to my taste: the locking tuners just make life so much easier, and I like the idea and the look of the brass posts, though I couldn't tell you if there are any tonal differences as a result (none I heard, anyway). And, of course, I've become hooked on PRS lampshade knobs for their size and feel, so a couple of amber/black ones were required...

FWcIq02.jpg

hdNeMjt.jpg
Sweet guitar and mods! At the risk of being called a "PRS snob" I have also said many times on here that there really is a difference between core and SE and will always prefer the core. And your guitars are nice!

What it's not is any kind of competition to a core Hollowbody. AFAIC, these are a very, very different class of guitar.
I was just about to post what Ms. CarolD says below ! Hey CarolD ... Long time , No hear from ! I have given up on the flamey stripey S2 594 Thinline ... But one with P90's might intrigue me ! :)
I just watched the latest Know Your Gear. Phil McKnight describes how he sold his SE HBII Piezo super fast because it sounded better than his core! I know I love mine. It's my avatar....
Also said... He didn't sell his Core, because he would have taken a financial bath selling it ! That the "loss", would have paid for the SE Hollowbody !

Anyway, I still dig my 2 SE HB's... But I do plan to examine how it stands up to a new player on the block ... Sire. I recently copped their T7 Tele clone. It is just awesome. So the next move will be a Sire H7V (A Gibson 335 clone ,with P90's ! ) and see how it compares quality wise to the SE Hollowbodies ... It's getting harder for me to justify the extremely diminishing returns realized in the higher priced spread ... Not sure of the veracity of Mc Knights observation, but he does get to evaluate a lot of gear, and seemingly does not have an agenda to promote lower priced alternatives ...

vOVxtRw.jpg

wMzns1O.jpg

TnSlFoq.jpg

FWcIq02.jpg

hdNeMjt.jpg
Nice.

Back