NGD: PRS SE 245 (Gold Metallic)

kmburkhart

Just picked this up from Music Royale in Powell, OH (just north/northwest of Columbus). I went in to try out a Mesa Mark Five:35 combo and used this to test with. I was fairly impressed with the amp, but I'm still between that, a Bad Cat Hot Cat, and a PRS Custom 20/50 or PRS Archon.

On my way out the door, the saleswoman asked if I was interested in any guitars - she said that she'd let the 245 go for REDACTED because it had been sitting around for a little too long. I knew that the gold metallic color was phased out this year for red metallic. It played and sounded great, so I couldn't pass it up! Here it is next to my 2015 S2 Custom 22.

Pickups sound great to me, no real need to change them (that goes for either guitar). I will likely put on a set of the clear/black USA knobs, though - also thinking about black pickup rings and a black selector switch, but I'll just do the knobs first. The nut is not cut very well either, it'll likely be a Drop D guitar, so I'll put 10-52 D'Addario's on it.

rgexdp9.jpg

Last edited:
Nice score! Note, forum rules, no retail pricing of any kind is supposed to be discussed.

Congrats! I've seen a couple of these on the rack and always just loved the look... why go "goldtop" when you can go "gold everything" :D and those SE245 pickups are pretty darn nice...

The cosmetics remind me of my Standard 24 I (stupidly) traded off some years ago (2008?)... none more gold...
prs_st24_top.jpg

prs_st24_bak.jpg

Congratulations on the 245. Mine has a new nut and Hipshot locking tuners, and never goes out of tune. The 10-52`s I use are great for this guitar. I think you`ll find it`s a keeper. The gold is really beautiful.

Congrats on the Guitar.

I also dig the Marantz Receiver, I have the same one, Mine is not currently hooked up, but man this a great sounding receiver.

Love it!! I've wanted one of those; goldtop is my favorite opaque color.

Awesome, congrats! I remember seeing that guitar there a while ago, but haven't been in there recently. Great people working there.

Thanks everyone! Here it is with the new knobs - much better in my opinion. I also installed Schaller strap locks.
fmfYvZt.jpg

Where can I get the forum truss rod cover? I think I'll also be replacing the selector switch tip and pickup rings with black ones.

Guits lookin ggoodd, but I'll give you bonus points for the Marantz vinyl setup you've got going there. Sweet.

Back