NGD PRS Schizoid a couple of questions inside

GrumpyOldDba

Hey peeps a new PRS customer for first time. Going to see King Crimson in September they are doing a 50th anniversary tour of In the Court of the Crimson King album.

Could not resist picking up one of the SE Schizoid models. Sold by Sweetwater as a demo there are a few really minor nit picky blemishes that are pretty hard to find. Has a PRS Model Name of ST4KC PRS inspected by EC on 4.18.19. I dunno if this was a SweetWater return by a customer that was picky or if PRS themselves tagged it with minor things and let SweetWater sell some like that. That's not important at all.

First impressions is that it plays beautifully loving the pickups. The schizoid man artwork is just stunning. Love the feel of the neck ... seems setup pretty darn well out of the box I will tweak along the way eventually if needed. Will put a couple of pics at the bottom.

So questions are:

1) What do most people do/recommend for locking tuners? Looks like there is a MannMade option that locks on top along with Schaller and/or Grover options.

The locking on top looks a bit odd to me yikes but I have Grover lockers on my Gibsons. Could get used to it I guess. Also seems like PRS has their own locking tuners but higher priced for a set ( maybe not ).

2) The bird inlays will take little while to get used to. The ones on my guitar seem to be installed smoothly but my guess is that they are some kind of synthetic not real abalone. Not complaining just trying to verify.

3) The finish is a gloss. Is this nitrocellulose it feels like it to me?

I can't think of much more. It feels a tad lighter than my LPs ... happy to join the PRS crowd!

Hmmm I don't see any easy way to insert an image from my computer. Oh well you guys know what the guitar looks like.

From the ... 20th century schizoid man

Congrats on your first! Warning....it won't be your last! :p Welcome to the forum.

All of the PRS locking tuners are top lock. They work great. I've never had a problem with them in more than double digit guitars. The MannMade are basically the SE Tuners that John drills out for the locking screw. You can even send him yours and he'll modify them. The US PRS tuners will be larger. You'd need to ream out the tuner holes. Enjoy your new fiddle!

The Grover 406c are a drop-in replacement, but I've found them to be kind of fiddly to restring with the offset peg hole. They also have smaller keys, but you can swap the PRS ones onto them.

Cool guitar! Congrats

Of course, without pics, it could be a Hello Kitty guitar for all we know. :eek:

I have both the Grover 406c and a converted set from Mann, on a couple of SEs. Both work well, but I prefer the converted ones, they are PRS and just look right to me. The Grovers are drop in as mentioned, so no mods needed.

Mann does sell a set of locking tuners for SE models, but they do not have the PRS stamped on the back, plus the conversion is cheaper.

.....Hmmm I don't see any easy way to insert an image from my computer. Oh well you guys know what the guitar looks like...

The pics must be uploaded to a publicly accessible site, such as Flickr, then you can copy and paste the image link into your post. The link should start with http, and end with jpg. Once the link is pasted into your post, bookend with img and /img tags and the pic should be visible.

Cool guitar! Congrats

Of course, without pics, it could be a Hello Kitty guitar for all we know. :eek:

Dang I did not know PRS made Hello Kitty guitars. Interesting ...

Yeah I dunno I don't belong to any image sharing sites that are still around any longer yikes and not that interested in working hard. Many of the forums I belong to just let you upload pics of under a meg.

So well it's over in my avatar and there are lots of other places to find pics of the PRS Schizoid.

+1 for the blue haters comments. I always use Hipshot open back locking tuners on my SE’s. They’re American made, don’t need modification, and are rock solid. They also have an 18:1 tuning ratio which is better than almost anything else. And you can get them with tuning buttons that match the curve of the top of the headstock.

Back