NGD - PRS McCarty II arrives from the US!

tolm

So, my new (to me!) 2009 PRS McCarty II in Tobacco Burst arrived from the good of' US of A yesterday! First time I've ordered a guitar from the states and the experience was extremely smooth: with both postage and import charges not being as bad as I originally thought they would be so it turned out to be a great deal.

Too busy having fun in rehearsal last night to post anything but here are my initial thoughts:

- The 245 pickups are great: a nice vintage tone but some serious crunch on tap from the bridge pickup with the neck pickup being very sweet and mellow. Are they as good as 57/08s? I'd need to A/B them but they sounded very, very good through my Jackson Ampworks so I'm happy. WAY better than my previous experiences with the original McCarty pickups: no dullness or muddiness just fat rock tones!

- As expected, the Wide/Fat neck is super comfy. Now that I have a Wide/Fat and a Pattern to switch between, I can feel the difference - the Pattern has a slightly more pronounced "V" to my hands - but very similar and a breeze to switch between.

- I'm not convinced by the Mastering Voice Control electronics. It definitely does something and the single-coil impression is kinda cool but I think basic coil-taps would have been better, for me at least. That's okay, the base tones and quality of the guitar are good enough and I can just leave the MVC switched off. And this was a way more cost-efficient way of getting a McCarty with the finish I wanted and with pickups I like (245s vs McCarty's) than buying a McCarty 58 at over twice the price!

So, er, yeh - pics, I guess?!

14523400883_e9a5b16b01_b.jpg

14316839817_73d712ab71_b.jpg

14502125912_077e63843e_b.jpg

14499903231_14d37eb033_b.jpg

14316845007_589ca12d6f_b.jpg

That's a very nice looking fretboard. A nice elegant guitar overall, IMHO.

Thanks all!

Yes, very classic looking and great fretboard. For me, that's the big difference that really sets PRS apart from other guitars: the quality of the fretboards (wood quality, rolled edges, clean frets) and neck carves. I mean, you can get a "G" guitar with the same level of flame maple top, etc but the fretboards never seem quite so well conditioned or to use quite so high quality woods.

Back