NGD PRS DC3

SleepDistance

Over Thanksgiving I stopped at the local GC and saw a DC3 hanging in the used guitar area. For a used guitar, this one was really clean. A little light swirling on the pickguard, otherwise not a mark or a scratch anywhere.
At first I was saddened that I'd have to pass on this guitar. I'm still paying off the PRS guitars I got on clearance at GC last winter and early spring. With 18 month financing, I'll be paying for them all through next year.

But then I convinced myself that some other things I'm making payments on will be paid off in a few months, I might get a year-end bonus from work, and I have some other gear for sale to raise funds, so I went back and got the DC3.

Before I closed the deal, I went in their Platinum room and A/Bed the guitar with some of the USA Deluxe Strats they had hanging in there. The DC3 is not really the same kind of thing at all. That glassy sparkly high end you hear from a Strat is not there. The low end is not as throaty or expansive. Most of the energy is in the midrange. I bought it for what it was - a great playing guitar with its own voice.
A few days after I got it, I realized that the pickup that has a more mellow high end, tighter bass, and heavy mids is the P90. I was curious and did a home tone shootout between the DC3 and my MJ guitars Groovemaster. Sure enough, I think they sound quite similar.
All over the web, there are people drawing comparisons between the DC3 and the Strat. Paul and his design team are probably shaking their heads or rolling their eyes at how people tend to hear with their eyes and not their ears. :iamconfused:
Anyway, here is the DC3 with the guitar I found it sounds most similar to.
DC3nGM3_zps056da708.jpg

And here is a shot of the PRS bunch at my place:
P1010103_zps0055f875.jpg

Yes, I don't have one with standard humbuckers. I play some Hamers and they cover the dual humbucker base well. But when PRS introduced the 305, I was interested. The seafoam green one was my first PRS, purchased in 2011.

There's also much discussion around the web about the DC3's aesthetics. The pickguard shape is a little odd at first, reminding me of some 70's off brand guitar or one of Gibson's 70's oddballs. But I think even the private stock PRS's have a bit of a 1970's look, and I don't mean that in a bad way at all, as well as older classic elements, and more modern touches. And in person, the DC3 in the red smokeburst finish is quite striking. I even like the "total eclipse" inlays.
The neck is very comfortable, with rounded fretboard edges - one of the little details I find on PRS guitars that make them feel like old friends - and perfect fretwork.

Last edited:
Here is a link to a neck pickup tone shootout I recorded this evening. The Groovemaster is the third guitar heard, then the DC3 is the fourth.
The first and second guitars are guitars with a Duncan Alnico Pro II Strat pickup, and then a Lace Sensor green (voiced like Texas Special).
After the DC3, a hollowbody with Duncan Seth Lovers, and then the PRS McCarty Narrow Field.
Neck Pickup Tone Shootout

Nice bunch you got there and that McCarty with P90's?
Is delicious
Congrats on the new addition, enjoy

Nice bunch you got there and that McCarty with P90's?
Is delicious
Congrats on the new addition, enjoy
Thanks. That McCarty with P90's is just stunning in person. I saw that one hanging at GC a few years ago, and it's one of those guitars where that burst finish kind of glows. I'd see all the guitars on the wall and this one (and a couple of others) would catch my eye because they kind of put off a glow.

PRS actually put an amber or butterscotch tint in the finish on that McCarty. You can see it on the white binding. It looks like the nitro finish on a 60 year old guitar (minus the checking and wear, which I don't want anyway). The attention to details like that is what amazes me about PRS guitars. Every one seems to be the product of not just fine workmanship, but a lot of thought and consideration into what players love about a guitar.
P1010095_zps47c9d73f.jpg

Last edited:
Scarlet smokeburst is an exceptional colour... congrats!!

Great looking and sounding guitars! Which PRS that you have comes closest to matching a Stratocaster sound and/or a Telecaster sound? Just curious because I am thinking about buying a PRS single coil soon.

Great looking and sounding guitars! Which PRS that you have comes closest to matching a Stratocaster sound and/or a Telecaster sound? Just curious because I am thinking about buying a PRS single coil soon.
I did some more tone comparing last night. If I get a chance over the weekend maybe I'll put up another shootout. I pulled out the maple fretboard 305 and compared it to the DC3. The DC3 does have a little more snap in the attack, and the 305 has a smoother more compressed attack.
Something that I found interesting is on either guitar with the bridge pickup on through a clean amp, it's possible to get really nice twangy tones. Either one would sound great in a country western band.
But then I pulled out a Strat type guitar with Lace Sensor pickups. Night and day difference. I think PRS must have felt that Fender-type guitars with single coils are just too bright. Neither PRS guitar had that glassy high end that a Fender type guitar has. This might be a good thing for country players wanting to use the bridge pickup, and who found a Tele bridge pickup overly bright. Blues players who love that ping on neck pickup tones won't find it with the DC3 or 305. I found the DC3's neck pickup similar in midrange character to a Texas Special, but lacking the sparkling high end. Blues players who prefer a darker, smoother tone might like the DC3.

The other amazing difference between the 305 and Fender type guitars is the 305's amazing sustain. Ordinarily a trem bridge would decrease sustain somewhat, but PRS has successfully built guitars with trems that sustain as well or better than guitars with a solid fixed bridge. I've recorded a couple of songs with a 305 with a sustaining David Gilmour type of tone dialed in. I don't quite get that slicing attack you hear in Gilmour's solos, but the sustain just goes on and on.

Thanks. That McCarty with P90's is just stunning in person. I saw that one hanging at GC a few years ago, and it's one of those guitars where that burst finish kind of glows. I'd see all the guitars on the wall and this one (and a couple of others) would catch my eye because they kind of put off a glow.

PRS actually put an amber or butterscotch tint in the finish on that McCarty. You can see it on the white binding. It looks like the nitro finish on a 60 year old guitar (minus the checking and wear, which I don't want anyway). The attention to details like that is what amazes me about PRS guitars. Every one seems to be the product of not just fine workmanship, but a lot of thought and consideration into what players love about a guitar.
P1010095_zps47c9d73f.jpg

A great specimen like this one should be in my futrue
to complement my 513
this is a truly a stunning burst

BTW your song reminds of Porcupine tree, very nice voice brother
and i love your style and tone, great recordings...Keep'em comin'

:rock::rock::rock:

I really dug the tone shootout you posted. Really demonstrates differences between the guitars' basic tones.

I did some more tone comparing last night. If I get a chance over the weekend maybe I'll put up another shootout. I pulled out the maple fretboard 305 and compared it to the DC3. The DC3 does have a little more snap in the attack, and the 305 has a smoother more compressed attack.
Something that I found interesting is on either guitar with the bridge pickup on through a clean amp, it's possible to get really nice twangy tones. Either one would sound great in a country western band.
But then I pulled out a Strat type guitar with Lace Sensor pickups. Night and day difference. I think PRS must have felt that Fender-type guitars with single coils are just too bright. Neither PRS guitar had that glassy high end that a Fender type guitar has. This might be a good thing for country players wanting to use the bridge pickup, and who found a Tele bridge pickup overly bright. Blues players who love that ping on neck pickup tones won't find it with the DC3 or 305. I found the DC3's neck pickup similar in midrange character to a Texas Special, but lacking the sparkling high end. Blues players who prefer a darker, smoother tone might like the DC3.

The other amazing difference between the 305 and Fender type guitars is the 305's amazing sustain. Ordinarily a trem bridge would decrease sustain somewhat, but PRS has successfully built guitars with trems that sustain as well or better than guitars with a solid fixed bridge. I've recorded a couple of songs with a 305 with a sustaining David Gilmour type of tone dialed in. I don't quite get that slicing attack you hear in Gilmour's solos, but the sustain just goes on and on.

Thanks very much for the great feedback on the tone. I already have a basic American Strat, so I don't need a guitar that sounds "just like a Strat". Our band is starting to do more county songs, so I am looking for a guitar that can produce some "country twang" and has sustain. Now to find a 305.

Thanks again

Back