NGD PRS Custom 24 10 Top String Action/Tension

BuckTennington

So my post got deleted because I’m new and posted pictures. So I’m going to re-post. Thank you for all your comments thus far. Awesome community.

Background:

In late April 2022 I ordered a Custom 24 McCarty Burst through Sweetwater. There was one customer ahead of me who placed the same order in July 2021 and was still waiting. Apparently the customer got sick of waiting and canceled their order earlier this July. Fortunately for me PRS finished the guitar a week after the order was cancelled and I got the guitar. Sweetwater sent me the guitar last Saturday.

For reference, I’ve been playing the same Les Paul Standard since 2004 so maybe this is why the PRS feels weird.

Rewind back to last Saturday:
Out of the box the PRS had extremely high tension and action. The high e string measured 8/64. At the time the neck relief looked fine (it actually wasn’t). The height at the 1st fret in spec. The floating trem is a little higher than 1/16 off of the body. The bottom of the trem looks to parallel with the strings.

I lowered the saddles and both e string saddles ran out of room at 5/64 the 12th fret. I tightened the truss rod to .007 at the 8th fret. and I was able to set the action to factory spec.

Unfortunately, the string tension and action look/feel high After the 12th fret. With the high e string at 4/64, it’s 5/64~6/64 at the 24th fret. I understand that action increases as you go up the fretboard to bridge (geometry), but the disparity between the 12th and 22nd fret does not occur on my LP (it’s 3/64 at the 12 and is a hair over 3/64 at 22).

I’ve reached out to Sweetwater and PRS and I should hear from them next week.

Is it me? Is this just how the PRSs feel? Did PRS rush it out? The only thing left is to mess with the trem and I’m NOT going to mess with the knife edge since PRS recommends against it.

Back