NGD: PRS 30th Anniversary Custom 24 - Faded Vintage Yellow

But I decided to ignore it.

fc,550x550,baby_blue.jpg

Beautiful guitar. I've always played 22-fret necks but I am intrigued by a Custom 24 with the new pickups. HOW hot is the bridge pickup?

Beautiful guitar. I've always played 22-fret necks but I am intrigued by a Custom 24 with the new pickups. HOW hot is the bridge pickup?

Pretty darn hot, I'd say - compared to my other guitars at least. I play on a kemper profiling amplifier, so I can't really speak to how a "regular" amp would be set to get comparable overdrive. I'll try to make some recordings later so you can hear the difference.

Here's the clip.

I played it in the session I already had open with a click in the wrong tempo for what I was playing, and couldn't be bothered to tune (or play anything interesting, haha).

https://soundcloud.com/michael_dk/comp-lp-cu24-bm-tc

All bridge pickups:
First a Les Paul with Seymour Duncan slash signature pickups (Alnico Pro II, I believe)
Then the PRS 30th Cu24
Then PRS Brent Mason signature
Then a telecaster (single coil)

I keep hearing 85/15 are hotter than 57/08 but not as hot as 59/09

Can't speak to that, as I've never tried the 59/09s, unfortunately :) But these pups are really something special, in my opinion (and I don't consider myself a cork sniffer or much of a tone hound in any way).

I've played mostly with a good amount of gain. To my ear they are pretty snappy, in some ways even more so than my Brent Mason - go figure :) but they also have a quite impactful low end. I have some profiles on my Kemper that sounds GREAT with both my tele, LP and Brent Mason, but are not particularly suited for my CU30th. That just means the amp needs to be dialed in.

The neck position is MUCH more mellow. I really dig the combo. I might lower my bridge pup a bit further on, but I love what I'm getting now. Been playing them in drop D for some Monster Truck-type riffage (the band, that is). That snappiness is extremely well suited for this. Almost like a combination of the best parts of a LP and a Tele (and in result, nothing like either guitar on its own, mind).

I might be using the term "snappy" wrongly. Not a "TING", and not a "BOUNG", more of a "DAOWNG" sound :biggrin:

Back