NGD: Private Stock Ultraviolet

That looks amazing. Does it sound as good as it looks?

I've owned a lot of PRSi over the years. The early ones, I thought, sounded really good thru modern amps, a little less sensitive thru vintage style amps. Paul has been working with Dave from Dave's Guitar shop, disassembling original PAFs and getting closer to the magic sound over the more recent years (maybe since 08?). Anyway, to my ears the metal pickups sound like a very high output PAF, rather than a more modern "distortion" pickup. I was a little worried about the pickups mainly, but I'm really happy. The neck is a chunk, and the big frets give me lots of room to dig in. So, yeah, I'd say it does sound as good as it looks. The only problem, of course, is that I'm not likely to gig it, despite the fact that it'd garner a lot of attention, just hate to chip or mar it in some way. Interestingly, if I were to spec the guitar from the factory the only change I might make is 59/09s vs the \M/s.

Amazing. I'd probably opt for a natural finish on the neck, but it's amazing either way.

Yeah, it's funny, they're doing a small run of quilt tops with flamed maple necks in natural for Dave's I think, later this year. That's going to be almost the only quilt available short of PS, if I understand it.

You sir have fantastic taste in guitars, beautiful.

Yet another badass Brian's Guitars build!

Back