NGD - Private Stock Modern Eagle V

Ryan Ko

I just got my first PRS.
I have long been a loyal fan of Gibson and James Tyler but this ME5 really blew my mind.
I just fell in love with the new pickups and Northern Lights finish. The curly maple top sure is flamy.

The TCI-tuned pickups are great and the coil splits on both PU's are fantastic.

I am afraid I have never used any 408's, Cu's or any other PRS before so I can't really make any comparison to those but I think this one is truly versatile for sure. It has a warm and sparkly clean tone, both with the middle pickup and coil splits. Also, I can still hear the harmonics even at a high gain setting when using the humbuckers.

I have had Madagascar rosewood fretboard on James Tyler, Ebony on my R57. Though I can't really tell if the Brazilian rosewood fretboard makes much difference but I am impressed with the build quality and sound of this new guitar.

Well done, Paul.

TF2xWAj.jpg

vbz8WdB.jpg

njv9HKG.jpg

5FkV3H3.jpg

fbyAeOg.jpg

n4oG4g3.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on the MEV! It's an amazing guitar.

I can't seem to see your images...

Wow that’s one of the best flame tops I’ve seen in a while!

Since it’s is a brand new guitar here’s some advice: try not to expose it to sunlight or any light for that matter. Search this forum for “northern lights color fade” and you’ll understand why. Try to keep it cased when it’s not being played.

Since it’s is a brand new guitar here’s some advice: try not to expose it to sunlight or any light for that matter. Search this forum for “northern lights color fade” and you’ll understand why. Try to keep it cased when it’s not being played.
I have seen the video on Youtube and I usually keep the guitar in the OHSC. Thanks for the advice!

WOW! The MEV is one of the best runs in quite a while. Congrats!

Yeah I have always found Super Eagle really interesting. However, for someone who is just not a hollow body person like me, MEV is a great choice.

WOW!!! I love the look of that one!

I do have one that is similar to yours, as Tonart says, and yup, I AM flipping over yours! This one’s part of that 2015-16 run from the 20th Anniversary of PRS’ PS program:

ptKq9zh.jpg

Differences: My 408s aren’t TCI, the middle pickup is different, the fretboard is Madagascar instead of Brazilian rosewood, an d the neck on mine is mahogany. But I’ll bet they would have a pretty strong similarity in tone.

WOW!!! I love the look of that one!

I do have one that is similar to yours, as Tonart says, and yup, I AM flipping over yours! This one’s part of that 2015-16 run from the 20th Anniversary of PRS’ PS program:

ptKq9zh.jpg

Differences: My 408s aren’t TCI, the middle pickup is different, the fretboard is Madagascar instead of Brazilian rosewood, an d the neck on mine is mahogany. But I’ll bet they would have a pretty strong similarity in tone.
I looked at your pic for at least three times to make sure it’s not mine. Amazing resemblance!

That James Tyler headstock is....interesting. Yeah, interesting. That's the word I'm going to use
Do you see anything wrong with the headstock? I thought that is usual James Tyler headstock.

Back