NGD - Private Stock Modern Eagle V

Do you see anything wrong with the headstock? I thought that is usual James Tyler headstock.

Don't care for the shape is all. Looks out of proportion to the rest of the guitar. Also not a fan of the inverted V for Dean or the "teat" on G&L.

Don't care for the shape is all. Looks out of proportion to the rest of the guitar. Also not a fan of the inverted V for Dean or the "teat" on G&L.
Yeah I have seen many controversial comments regarding James Tyler headstock. I personally loved the James Tyler in general especially the headstock. I thought you were saying you spotted something is not right with that specific headstock.

Well, it's ugly.:p

What an absolutely gorgeous guitar. Congrats!!!!!!!!!

Where do you think it fits in tonally with your other two?

I played a Tyler bass a while back...it played ok...maybe the added headstock wood adds to the overall resonance...I'm not a big fan of that look, but I've seen MUCH worse.

Well, it's ugly.:p

What an absolutely gorgeous guitar. Congrats!!!!!!!!!

Where do you think it fits in tonally with your other two?

Hi DMC,

Great question, even though it is really hard to describe the sound in words especially if English is not your first language. But anyway, I will give it a shot.

Overall, I find the MEV sound more clear and sparkly than the other two even in high gain.

Comparing the H-H PU set with the R57 BB, the bridge PU has less treble and slightly fatter. The neck PU has more concentrated(?) than the 57's. I always thought the neck pu on 57 sounds too muddy especially in high gain settings. The TCI 408 pu's are amazing.

In the single-coil/coil-split realm, I am just happy with the fact that it has only one single-coil pu in the middle because I rarely use single-coil pu anyways.
My James Tyler is a little different from the usual Studio Elite HD-P models as it has special-run Holy Shmear finish and the previous owner constructed it to be somewhat more vintage and fender-like. It sounds like a 60’s fender strats with slightly more mids. With that in mind, I find MEV’s coil-split sound less twangy and fender-like than the actual single-coil pu's in James Tyler. But I have actually never liked the fender strat so I just think the MEV has some usable single-coil sound. But honestly, I really don't have any idea what is a 'good' single-coil sound so probably some other MEV owners can give you better answer to you.

Very nice looking one with Northern Lights finish (or may Aqua violet, they can look awfully similar).
Make sure to keep it cased, away from light, when not playing to avoid fading.

I just got my first PRS.
I have long been a loyal fan of Gibson and James Tyler but this ME5 really blew my mind.
I just fell in love with the new pickups and Northern Lights finish. The curly maple top sure is flamy.

The TCI-tuned pickups are great and the coil splits on both PU's are fantastic.

I am afraid I have never used any 408's, Cu's or any other PRS before so I can't really make any comparison to those but I think this one is truly versatile for sure. It has a warm and sparkly clean tone, both with the middle pickup and coil splits. Also, I can still hear the harmonics even at a high gain setting when using the humbuckers.

I have had Madagascar rosewood fretboard on James Tyler, Ebony on my R57. Though I can't really tell if the Brazilian rosewood fretboard makes much difference but I am impressed with the build quality and sound of this new guitar.

Well done, Paul.

TF2xWAj.jpg

vbz8WdB.jpg

njv9HKG.jpg

5FkV3H3.jpg

fbyAeOg.jpg

n4oG4g3.jpg

Love the last pic... that's a nice trio, and they look so happy together :)

Back