NGD: Private Stock 8 String in Doublestain Grey

Utkarsh

Ministry of guitar
For those of you who saw the 7 String post, this is part 2 of the same purchase.
On the 31st of December, I placed an order for two new old PRS Private Stock's that I had been eyeing for 4 years from Ishibashi music, Japan. The conversion rate of the Japanese yen and the dealer's willingness to let go, reached a level which made sense to me and getting two together sweetened the deal. Since they shipped from different branches, the Purple Mist 7 String got here first and the 8 String finally got here today.

Why did I get a second PRS 8 String given I already had one of the original 8 from the August 2016 Guitar of the month run. Well, because I really really liked the August guitar but since it is one of such a limited run and of some historic significance (PRS's first production 8 string guitars), I have to treat it gingerly as befits a significant instrument. At the same time, I do play 8 string and I greatly prefer the PRS to the Mayones I bought for everyday duties. 8 strings are quite a monster but the PRS playability is in full display here and makes it only slightly more difficult to maneuver than a regular PRS Custom 24 once your mind adjusts to the strings. I'll wager to say that if you are used to a Custom 24, you will feel at home very quickly.

Hence this only other PRS 8 string for sale was always on my radar.

And now it's here. This one, thanks to the special Ziricote neck is even more playable than the gloss necked August guitar and the Ragnaroks are chunky in the nicest way. I played this thing for hours after I got it and just put it down to take a few pics and a quick video

Here we go

Double stained grey looks mighty impressive in the flesh. Don't think my dimly lit jam music room quite captures it
p50RFnB.jpg

Next to the August Guitar of the Month. Front
4V7X6u1.jpg

And back
ns7fqvH.jpg

The grain of the swamp ash at the back (imo) is more pleasing than that of the August guitar. Very reminiscent of my Graveyard II, which I picked for having one of the best tops but definitely the best back of the entire run
T6mKUf6.jpg

Put my nice trusty old strap on it since I couldn't stop playing it
JufUvGm.jpg

Ziricote necks are awesome for fans for Brazilian rosewood. If you can't get a Braz neck, get Zircote or Kingwood. You can't go wrong
LCA4Zdp.jpg

Outline birds on Ebony. A classic Private Stock combination you can't go wrong with
F1bXFcZ.jpg

A different angle for variety
myD5aiM.jpg

And finally a quick video after hours of fun playing

I have one more NGD coming up sometime in April hopefully for another extended range PRS guitar. And then I am done, for sometime. Alrighty got to head. It's almost 2 am here. Lost track of time. Thank god it's a friday.

Dang! Beauties both! Yeah, that swamp ash back looks fantastic.

Too bad it is unlikely PRS would ever release a core 8-string guitar - the market just isn't there, I imagine.

(Though I will admit the ever growing price hikes in just the core line are starting to put those out of reach for my comfort level in the near future.)

Dang! Beauties both! Yeah, that swamp ash back looks fantastic.

Too bad it is unlikely PRS would ever release a core 8-string guitar - the market just isn't there, I imagine.

(Though I will admit the ever growing price hikes in just the core line are starting to put those out of reach for my comfort level in the near future.)

Never say never. Musicman released a 100 piece run of the John Petrucci 8 string and it sold out pretty quickly. I think once the back orders settle down and a few more extended range players get older and start having the financial resources to buy 5000 dollar guitars, PRS will launch atleast a core 7 string. Wouldn't hold my breath on it though

Geesh, smoking hot, congrats! Can't imagine I'll ever play an 8, but more power to you and anyone that can! I've had two 7's and didn't keep either longer than 6 months.

The 7 was a steep learning curve. For a couple of weeks it was almost as if I was relearning guitar after 16 years playing. What worked for me was relearning all the 6 string songs I knew on the 7. That helped my mind learn to ignore the low B string vs. confusing it with the low E string. Once my mind was clear where the 6 strings were, then I graduated to playing the low B string and 7 string songs and it was quite easy.

7-8 took no time at all (also helped I was doing it on the PRS which just feels home). My mind had already broken out of the 16 year old paradigm of 6 strings, and adding an extra string even on top of the 7th string didn't bother it at all.

Try again if 7 strings is something you want to play

I used to be so much into 7's but 8 strings never took off for me. I wouldn't be able to explore its full potential anyway. Same time good execution on 8s is so fun to watch.

Either way - great collection @Larkspur, really well done

That's a real mans guitar right there. I won't venture into 8. 7 is enough for me.

Back