NGD: Pleasantly surprised

Neat guitar, and the Tux is perfect. I've used a keyser capo to assist in string changes on Bigsby equipped guitars. Try that, around the 12th fret to secure the strings, once secured at the tailpiece, while winding them at the headstock...but congrats!

Neat guitar, and the Tux is perfect. I've used a keyser capo to assist in string changes on Bigsby equipped guitars. Try that, around the 12th fret to secure the strings, once secured at the tailpiece, while winding them at the headstock...but congrats!

I watched a YouTube video which showed bending the string 90 degrees about 1/2” from the ball end with needle nose pliers. That keeps the ball from springing off the small black post on the Bigsby. It helped a bunch, and my language seemed to simultaneously clean up.

I watched a YouTube video which showed bending the string 90 degrees about 1/2” from the ball end with needle nose pliers. That keeps the ball from springing off the small black post on the Bigsby. It helped a bunch, and my language seemed to simultaneously clean up.

Known as the “nae f€ck” technique!;)

I'd never even heard of it. I just looked it up. Thanks for the suggestion!
Do you use/endorse it?

Nah, I just ran across it while I was doing research in my Gretsch infatuation period. I knew Bigsby's have their issues, perceived or real, so I wanted to be up on them before I made the leap. The feature I liked about the spoiler, was in a live situation, if you broke a string, it would definitely speed the replacement process. There's a few other places that make products to help Bigsby's play better, including the Reverend spring and Towner tension bar.

That looks like a really sweet guitar, Steve! And the pickguard is just the thing to make it even cooler than it already was.

I really dig it. Great work!

Awesome stuff Steve! I'm still loving my S2 Starla that I just picked up!

I received this yesterday. I bought it after learning PRS was dropping the S2 Starla. While I have a few SEs, I had never even played an S2, let alone owned one. I was intrigued with this S2 because I like SCs, the Starla look and weight, and the Bigsby. I decided to put a tuxedo on it and change the strap buttons to Schallers.

Before

And after

What I was unprepared for was how nicely this plays. My two most recent PRSi are this and a 594 SC SH. I have to tell you that I prefer both the playability and the tone of the S2 (of these two specific guitars). I wouldn’t have believed it if I hadn’t experienced the comparison first hand. I’m not saying the S2s are better guitars than the cores, and maybe I just got lucky with this one, but I am convinced the S2s are a great bang for the buck.

Addendum: 1) Frost blue is an interesting color. I thought it was odd how different it looked on different listings on the internet; some appeared dark (which I didn’t care for) and others a much lighter blue. Now I know why; this metallic blue responds differently to light. It is much lighter blue in direct light. 2) Bigsbys are a pain in the a$$ for changing strings.
Love that! My core Starla/Bigsby is definitely a "cold dead hands" guitar for me. As I've said before, the Starla is a modern guitar with an old soul.

Love the pimpin' pickguard as well ... did you get that from PRS?

Love that! My core Starla/Bigsby is definitely a "cold dead hands" guitar for me. As I've said before, the Starla is a modern guitar with an old soul.

Love the pimpin' pickguard as well ... did you get that from PRS?

Yes. Available on their website for $40 for pearloid. However, pretty sure the S2 is a different fit than core.

https://us.prsaccessories.com/collections/s2-parts

Last edited:
Back