NGD: Pleasantly surprised

11top

Cousin Eddie's cousin
I received this yesterday. I bought it after learning PRS was dropping the S2 Starla. While I have a few SEs, I had never even played an S2, let alone owned one. I was intrigued with this S2 because I like SCs, the Starla look and weight, and the Bigsby. I decided to put a tuxedo on it and change the strap buttons to Schallers.

Before

And after

What I was unprepared for was how nicely this plays. My two most recent PRSi are this and a 594 SC SH. I have to tell you that I prefer both the playability and the tone of the S2 (of these two specific guitars). I wouldn’t have believed it if I hadn’t experienced the comparison first hand. I’m not saying the S2s are better guitars than the cores, and maybe I just got lucky with this one, but I am convinced the S2s are a great bang for the buck.

Addendum: 1) Frost blue is an interesting color. I thought it was odd how different it looked on different listings on the internet; some appeared dark (which I didn’t care for) and others a much lighter blue. Now I know why; this metallic blue responds differently to light. It is much lighter blue in direct light. 2) Bigsbys are a pain in the a$$ for changing strings.

Last edited:
I received this yesterday. I bought it after learning PRS was dropping the S2 Starla. While I have a few SEs, I had never even played an S2, let alone owned one. I was intrigued with this S2 because I like SCs, the Starla look and weight, and the Bigsby. I decided to put a tuxedo on it and change the strap buttons to Schallers.

Before

And after

What I was unprepared for was how nicely this plays. My two most recent PRSi are this and a 594 SC SH. I have to tell you that I prefer both the playability and the tone of the S2 (of these two specific guitars). I wouldn’t have believed it if I hadn’t experienced the comparison first hand. I’m not saying the S2s are better guitars than the cores, and maybe I just got lucky with this one, but I am convinced the S2s are a great bang for the buck.

Addendum: 1) Frost blue is an interesting color. I thought it was odd how different it looked on different listings on the internet; some appeared dark (which I didn’t care for) and others a much lighter blue. Now I know why; this metallic blue responds differently to light. It is much lighter blue in direct light. 2) Bigsbys are a pain in the a$$ for changing strings.

Have you seen/tried the roller bridge? I have a few Bigsby, and Bigsby-like, equipped guitars, and adding the roller bridge gave better tuning stability with trem use, on every one of them. They fit on TOM style bridge posts, Std or Metric.

Looking good, Steve! I really like the pearloid on it. Not that you need my approval!

I’ve always had a bit of regret that I never got a core Starla in gold sparkle.

Back