NGD: Paul's Guitar Orange Tiger

Thanks ! The learning curve was steep at first. I remember nearly giving up from frustration the first couple times I tried.
TransTint's instructions were maybe OK for very lightly colored wood intended as furniture, but way too diluted to look good on a guitar body.

The scary part of these 'sand back' finishes is to put so much black on the piece:

yhUtrPi.jpg

Pulling the dye with denatured alcohol and then finally a bit of water to raise the grain before sanding it back and applying the orange:
8QvbNpp.jpg

With so much moisture it warps quite a bit so I'll have to let it dry overnight. It's already somewhat flat enough.

One problem is I'm slightly impatient so letting it dry overnight didn't happen.
Sandback:
yttQ0fu.jpg

and orange dye (I think I did a few more layers of orange to make it darker after I took this pic):
TrzLMId.jpg

I'll burnish the surface and apply the clear tomorrow (if it's not too humid). It'll take couple weeks for the finish to dry hard enough and sink in before I sand/buff

I hear PRS are recruiting...

Funny, that actually crossed my mind a few times lately.

On the plus side maybe working all day on guitars would tame my GAS, if not the drastic change in lifestyle would definitely do the trick. I would no longer be (sort of) impulse buying Core or PS guitars... I'd just have to wait for my employee anniversary to get a new guitar, which isn't a bad thing.

Anyhow, good timing as I just finished the backplate.
I had a bit of a fight with the finish but it's taken care of now. Just need to wait for it to dry/cure fully before buffing it:

F81zy6C.jpg

LIUNv4d.jpg

uFMcO9w.jpg

08vfCu3.jpg

@docteurseb , you have won the forum for a minimum of one week. It seems to me there should be some sort of certificate or ceremony.

Seriously, outstanding work. I am truly envious of your guitar and your artistic ability.

Haha thank you, got to spend time however we can.
I'm now moving onto doing matching maple buttons for my aqua violet PS, the ziricote ones the dealer spec'd are cool but I would much rather have stained curly maple ones on it to add a bit of contrast/color to the headstock

Fantastic attention to detail. I admire your patience and artistry. You make a work of art even better!

Recently sold my Private Stock Modern Eagle V LTD edition so I could get an excuse (for myself) to do a PS MEV to my liking.

It's going to be a very long wait and I started missing the MEV soon after selling it... Luckily I found a MEV-Lite (Paul's Guitar) at a deal I couldn't pass on.
Normally orange tiger isn't to my liking, but this one had incredible contrast and extremely vivid colors:

o8Ibv08.jpg

Cjsyl0S.jpg
Now that is one beautiful guitar! Hands down the orange finish I've seen.

I want dibs if you ever sell that one!!
Well it's next in line to be sold. Probably will decide this week depending on how I feel about the Paul's 85 once I get it back repaired.

That said, do you really want a 3rd Paul's Guitar on top of having 2 MEVs ???

Back