NGD: Paul's Guitar Orange Tiger

Guilty as charged! :)

I think a stained curly maple board with a stained maple neck back would look killer.
I had a Coll IX in Aqua Violet smokeburst, wasn’t the glow version which I like better. I think Sub Zero Glow is a nicer version of the darker blues/greens - or at least its more consistent.

here some pics of the Coll IX in terrible lighting - as dark as it gets

dark room with flash - one on the right is my Pernie Aquamarine P22
image.jpg

lighted room with flash
68-EAE11-A-B768-4-CB8-9-C50-40-EE28-E8-E4-AF.jpg
Ahhh....Celtic Knots! Lovely!

@WA Paul :after 2 weeks of indecision (1st world problem) I'll be going with Bats in flight again in Aqua Violet glow re-using my prior headstock design (got to spread that initial design fee over multiples builds :p).
That said I do see a sub zero on the horizon, eventually.

As for the Paul's Guitar I like it enough I've decided to proceed with matching tuners buttons, TRC, and maybe eventually backplate.

I started with TRCs to see if I could get close to that orange tiger finish.
Left one is decent but not quite as contrasty and vidid enough to match the top.
ivzSWB7.jpg

For the tuner buttons I might have gone a little too concentrated, but it looks good.
Right ones are after the black dye applied. Left is with water to wash the black dye and raise the grain.
hopPFEK.jpg

Right is after sanding. Left with a more concentrated orange dye applied (it glows when wet):
9mCYa3m.jpg

I'll probably redo a TRC with that same high contrast scheme.
Maybe in 2-3 weeks I'll have them on the guitar (takes a while for that spray can lacquer to dry and become very hard)... I'll keep you posted.

@WA Paul :after 2 weeks of indecision (1st world problem) I'll be going with Bats in flight again in Aqua Violet glow re-using my prior headstock design (got to spread that initial design fee over multiples builds :p).

As for the Paul's Guitar I like it enough I've decided to proceed with matching tuners buttons, TRC, and maybe eventually backplate.

Left one is decent but not quite as contrasty and vidid enough to match the top.
ivzSWB7.jpg

For the tuner buttons I might have gone a little too concentrated, but it looks good.
Right ones are after the black dye applied. Left is with water to wash the black dye and raise the grain.
hopPFEK.jpg

Right is after sanding. Left with a more concentrated orange dye applied (it glows when wet):
9mCYa3m.jpg

Maybe in 2-3 weeks I'll have them on the guitar (takes a while for that spray can lacquer to dry and become very hard)... I'll keep you posted.
Sounds like a cool build! I like Aqua Violet Glow a lot. Now that I think about it, I haven’t seen a glow finish I didn’t like.

Your color matching and finishing skills are terrific!

Ahhh....Celtic Knots! Lovely!
Alas, only down to one guitar with knots, and I’ll likely need to sell that in the near future. Unemployment with a chronic illness isn’t the doubleheader I was going for, but life happens!

ivzSWB7.jpg

hopPFEK.jpg

9mCYa3m.jpg

Damn, dude, that’s righteous work.

ivzSWB7.jpg

hopPFEK.jpg

9mCYa3m.jpg

Good stuff, thanks for sharing!

Gotta love a Paul's Guitar. Congrats!
As Bodia said, "Gotta love a Paul's Guitar" and I do. My Paul's was my first PRS and now that I have 3 it is still my fav. And very likely always will be. And that Orange Tiger is very close to my favorite finish.

Enjoy your new Paul's for a very long time.

Weather hasn't been cooperative for spraying a finish but the buttons are done and they are match the top finish very well:
vk7mpPV.jpg

WhIFKEt.jpg

EWOC1Fe.jpg

My OCD though told me I should redo a cover that's a better match for the top (higher contrast)... so here we go:
OzrXyLo.jpg

K9J8Y5d.jpg

s5ULOJ3.jpg

7gIQNOB.jpg

That's more like it (right one was an earlier experiment without using as dark of a dye, looks great too but not a good match for my guitar):
OnyPNXe.jpg

Now the backplate... because that dyeing hobby is getting addictive and fun. I forgot I had a highly figured piece that matches quite well the wide curls of my guitar's top:
ABWwGu7.jpg

Planing and rough cutting the piece:
cBhaWLG.jpg

And it's ready to be routed at this point. I cut it so the curls are about the same angle as the top (OCD)... ;-)
vMi0VLY.jpg

Many things can still go wrong along the way but I'm hopeful it'll go smoothly...

So far so good, very snug (but not tight fit) and the holes are perfectly aligned.
Next steps is to countersink the holes, thin it down to adequate thickness, stain and finish.
3Z9qxic.jpg

While we're at it here are the internals:
68ceTx5.jpg

Absolutely superb work and color matching skills.
Bravo doc!

Back