NGD: Paul's Guitar Orange Tiger

docteurseb

Recently sold my Private Stock Modern Eagle V LTD edition so I could get an excuse (for myself) to do a PS MEV to my liking.

It's going to be a very long wait and I started missing the MEV soon after selling it... Luckily I found a MEV-Lite (Paul's Guitar) at a deal I couldn't pass on.
Normally orange tiger isn't to my liking, but this one had incredible contrast and extremely vivid colors:

o8Ibv08.jpg

Cjsyl0S.jpg

How did you spec out the ME-V?

Enjoy the Paul’s Guitar. I have one and really like it. Aside from the middle pickup, how do you think it compares to your previous ME-V?

Congrats! That is a beauty. That color really pops!

How did you spec out the ME-V?

Enjoy the Paul’s Guitar. I have one and really like it. Aside from the middle pickup, how do you think it compares to your previous ME-V?
That's the thing, I can't remember nuances between the two.

As for the MEV I've actually been unable to decide for the past weeks between one extreme design and something more 'low key' (by Private Stock standards):
- Bats in flights fingerboard like my recently acquired PS 594, but this time in Aqua Violet or Northern Lights Glow for the top and neck (front&back). Satin neck. Swamp ash body or mahogany, it mostly boils down if I can find a color for the swamp ash that would go well with the theme... I've been thinking of doing a very dark purple with indigo grain filler but afraid the overall guitar is going to be pretty dark looking.

- or Sub-zero glow curly maple top, ziricote fingerboard and headstock with curly maple inlays and tuner buttons stained to match. curly maple neck stained to match (fade pattern) with satin finish. Black limba back (natural finish)

Last edited:
Congrats! That's a beauty!
I have a new Paul's Guitar being delivered tomorrow... starting to get excited!

Congrats, killer tiger curl on that one!

I’d vote Sub Zero Glow, full maple neck and board with stained neck (back of neck) and matching stained maple bird inlays with the ash back, white washed with the Sub Zero glow grain filler for the PS build. :)

Great flame there!! It really suits the Orange Tiger finish

Congrats!!

Congrats, killer tiger curl on that one!

I’d vote Sub Zero Glow, full maple neck and board with stained neck (back of neck) and matching stained maple bird inlays with the ash back, white washed with the Sub Zero glow grain filler for the PS build. :)
I think you're biased towards @Tosca recent MEV :) Can't blame you though that one is ridiculously beautiful.

I change my mind literally several times a day, right now I'm heavily leaning towards the bats in flight. Colors are way off, by the way, on these PRS shots (it's supposed to be Aqua Violet):
D3amDLQX4AIIKiM

D3amDLEWAAEghzS

This shot from Bizarre Guitars is most likely closer to the real color (never seen Aqua Violet in person so I can't say for sure):
ubccyk9c6dym1pa7no6x.jpg

- I also did a mock up of a BOF version in Electric Tiger Glow/Fade. There's an appealing 'simpler' look to it despite the fancy inlays.
That color scheme would lend itself very well to a rosewood neck (back) and antique mahogany body.
SDKRiaT.jpg

The real one it's based off:
6nsIVtI.jpg

Great color and top.
How does it sound?

Sounds and plays very very good.

Neck profile consistency with PRS has been a little bit spotty for me (I'm over-sensitive to variations I think) but the profile on this one is very good feeling.
It's chunkier than a few other Pattern necks I owned but still has a nice V feel to it.

It's surprisingly easy to bend on it despite 1) frets being nowhere as polished as they are on a PS guitar and 2) being a stop tail.
The Warmoth Soloist I was playing almost exclusively recently feels harder despite having a floating trem, stainless steel frets, and flatter compound radius.... go figure. The slightly shorter scale of the PG would always help but I also get the sense the neck profile on the PG is giving me a much more solid grip that helps a lot compared to thinner necks; the rosewood fingerboard on that PG is also super smooth feeling.

I think you're biased towards @Tosca recent MEV :) Can't blame you though that one is ridiculously beautiful.

I change my mind literally several times a day, right now I'm heavily leaning towards the bats in flight. Colors are way off, by the way, on these PRS shots (it's supposed to be Aqua Violet):
D3amDLQX4AIIKiM

D3amDLEWAAEghzS

This shot from Bizarre Guitars is most likely closer to the real color (never seen Aqua Violet in person so I can't say for sure):
ubccyk9c6dym1pa7no6x.jpg

- I also did a mock up of a BOF version in Electric Tiger Glow/Fade. There's an appealing 'simpler' look to it despite the fancy inlays.
That color scheme would lend itself very well to a rosewood neck (back) and antique mahogany body.
SDKRiaT.jpg

The real one it's based off:
6nsIVtI.jpg
Guilty as charged! :)

I think a stained curly maple board with a stained maple neck back would look killer.
I had a Coll IX in Aqua Violet smokeburst, wasn’t the glow version which I like better. I think Sub Zero Glow is a nicer version of the darker blues/greens - or at least its more consistent.

here some pics of the Coll IX in terrible lighting - as dark as it gets

dark room with flash - one on the right is my Pernie Aquamarine P22
image.jpg

lighted room with flash
68-EAE11-A-B768-4-CB8-9-C50-40-EE28-E8-E4-AF.jpg

Guilty as charged! :)

I think a stained curly maple board with a stained maple neck back would look killer.
I had a Coll IX in Aqua Violet smokeburst, wasn’t the glow version which I like better. I think Sub Zero Glow is a nicer version of the darker blues/greens - or at least its more consistent.

here some pics of the Coll IX in terrible lighting - as dark as it gets

dark room with flash - one on the right is my Pernie Aquamarine P22
image.jpg

lighted room with flash
68-EAE11-A-B768-4-CB8-9-C50-40-EE28-E8-E4-AF.jpg

I'd like to avoid gloss for the back of the neck this time, just to make it feel smooth/fast, but I'm double checking whether it's even possible to have them do a satin back but gloss headstock.

Back