NGD! P-22 - My Dream Guitar has finally arrived!

Solteroblues

Ok, I've been drooling over getting one of these for years, but could never afford one nor justify the price. I had been really wanting a Custom 22 hardtail in Whale blue, but I bought a really (REALLY) used Artist CU24 a few months ago for what I thought was a good deal, but it was just too beat up for me. It was too gorgeous to suffer with so many big chips and dents, but a refinish would have cost as much as the guitar did when I bought it. The frets were heavily worn, maybe past another dressing, so I traded it in on this baby. The Piezo is icing on the cake, as I don't like acoustics, and this will give me enough "acoustic" like sounds to fake it on the few songs I play that need it.

It just arrived literally an hour or so ago, so I've been trying to let it acclimate to the warmth since it's been on a cold UPS truck for the past several days.

First impressions are very good. Absolutely flawless build. The paint and finish is impeccable. It is used, so there are a couple minor dings on the bottom edge and on the back, but only noticeable if you're looking for them (unlike the 4" wide strip of missing poly on the CU24). The fret ends are so smooth, you can't even feel them as you run your hands up and down the neck, like glass. I really like the open gear tuners - never thought I would and always thought they looked cheap on other guitars, but on here, they look very elegant and classy, especially with the brass shaft. They turn very smoothly and seem to hold very well. I love the locking aspect, too, makes changing strings SO easy. It's not a 10 top, but only because of the "mustache" below the bridge, where the flame is ultra wide, but the other 90% of the top is about as beautiful as you could ask for, and the color is what I've been wanting for so long. I have never seen a top with such a mirrored finish, when I was taking pics of it with my phone, my reflection kept showing up in the pics so clear, it scared me!

On to the playing... I haven't had a lot of time with her just yet, and I don't have an amp here at the office to try out the Piezo, but playing it acoustically is a joy. I can't believe how loud it is, for this style of guitar! I'm used to my LP's being louder acoustically, but every other double cut guitar I've ever played was noticeably quieter. And it really resonates, which should make the LR Baggs piezo really sing, I would expect. The neck is their pattern regular, which is a little wider than I expected, it's got enough chunk for me, as I have smaller hands, but the strings are spaced wider apart than any of my other guitars it seems like, but after I get used to it, I think it will make my chord changes a lot easier, as I'm not the most graceful in the world. The previous owner did a bang up job setting her up, nice low action with no buzz, and spot on intonation. This is the happiest I've ever been with a guitar, my dream finally came true! Can't wait to fire up my little Marshall and start cranking!

15924100115_712e6d4b5f_b.jpg

15304462283_9143ddd977_b.jpg

Birds!

15898301596_0b4a7173b8_b.jpg

15924098995_66b860a6aa_b.jpg

15301872034_db035060ab_b.jpg

I love that color!

15736655298_01db231906_b.jpg

Those flames on that faux binding are so awesome!

15301871424_1b9fc88cea_b.jpg

The piezo bridge

15304460043_10ce6e19d7_b.jpg

Thanks. I'm on a bit of a PRS kick this week. My new Zach Myers SE should arrive this week, and its top is stunning, even if it is just a veneer...

There are only a few transparent colors I really dig, and Whale Blue is one of them. That's one very handsome guitar you've got there.

Beautiful!!! That natural binding is killer with the blue!!!

53/10's?
I think so... The hang tag says P-22 for both bass and treble, but the manual says that this model came with the 53/10's... I don't know enough to tell you any different

Nice! I've been gigging mine like crazy since I got it. Like you, I need an acoustic for just a few songs per night, and this saves me from dragging around a huge extra case and taking the time to switch guitars a few times which eats up stage time and interrupts the flow. Enjoy!

Back