NGD, orange guitar swap

eclecticsynergy

PRS user since '87
Traded my orange 30th Anniversary SE (plus some cash) for an orange 20th Anniversary Cu22.

From this:

To this:

I liked the SE, actually - it had the bound ebony fretboard and you don't see many of those. Birds in a slightly curved line, a nod to the core Anniversary models. Build quality was typical of the MIK SEs - that is to say, pretty darned good. Played well, sounded decent with the import VB/HFS pickups. I'd intended to upgrade the pickups eventually, but didn't get around to it because I seldom played the guitar.

The new one will get more playtime I'm sure. It's much prettier; the cell pics I snapped quickly this afternoon don't do justice to the flame. I'll get pics in better light one of these days soon. Very clean for a fifteen year old axe, no dings or scratches though there's a little corrosion starting on the pickup covers.

Original Dragon II pickups had been replaced with Duncan Antiquities. I've never been a big fan of Dragons, even replaced my Dragon Ones in guitars that had them. Not a high gain player most of the time and I think that's where the Dragons really shine. I prefer something that cleans up better and has better touch response when backed off a bit. I think the Antiquities probably will stay. They're woody and chimey and well-defined enough that I doubt I'll miss split tones much.

Beautiful sustain, nice lively neck with the real anniversary inlays. A bit heavy at 8.1 lbs but I can handle that - after all, it's light compared to some of my Les Pauls.

Very happy with this one. Still honeymooning of course, but I suspect it's going to be right up there on the favorites list with the DGT and my '87.

A few more pics:

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I'm really happy with it.

I have inadvertently wound up with a bunch of orange guitars... I do love the color but never intended to collect a bunch.

The top on that McNaught looks great in good light...

and one relic partscaster in progress

Last edited:
Back