NGD - No PRS Content

faderport.jpg

PreSonus Faderport 8. Motorized faders, the controls can be changed to adjust pan, EQ, or plug-in settings. It was almost as easy to set up as a guitar pick - seriously. It’s designed to work with Studio One - very tight integration - but it also has modes that allow it to work with other DAWs like Logic and ProTools.

The closest thing I had to an issue was a misunderstanding on my part. When I saw it in the store, it wasn’t connected to anything and was in Studio One mode. The display window at the top showed a message, “Studio One, waiting for host”. Changing modes is as simple as holding down two buttons when you power the unit on, then pressing select for the mode you want. Which I did for Logic and...it was blank. So I went to the net and made sure I was doing it right. Fired up Logic, and it synced right away. Couldn’t have been easier. This is going to make mixing so much easier.

Nice! What are you mixing?

My son just got a similar product called an Avid Artist Mix, and my partner has used the older version of the Artist Mix in his studio for several years; those control surfaces are really great!

I’ve been fine using the trackpad because I like to have a synth sitting close enough in front of me at the mix position that I can play it - I need to see picture to create a soundtrack - and there just isn’t room for a mix controller in an ergonimic setup for my workflow. Everyone’s workflow is different, I suppose.

I do use Logic Remote with virtual faders on my iPad, and because it’s Bluetooth, I can sit it on my lap, or use it when cutting guitar tracks away from the workstation. But virtual faders aren’t as nice as having real faders!

gene does a radio show for the bbc every once in a while, the playlist is always dire and he tells the ‘i discovered acdc’ and ‘i discovered van halen’ stories but he never mentions tom waits writing ‘jersey girl’ for paul.

gene does a radio show for the bbc every once in a while, the playlist is always dire and he tells the ‘i discovered acdc’ and ‘i discovered van halen’ stories but he never mentions tom waits writing ‘jersey girl’ for paul.

"I discovered..." as in "I introduced the world to these bands", or "I discovered...", as in "The first time I heard Van Halen..."

Back