NGD (new to me) DC3

shinksma

What? I get a title?
Forum members may recognize this instrument. It was owned by a couple of them, I believe. I saw it pop up on Reverb being sold by CME, and the price (after a quick negotiation) was too good to pass up.

VE8K88A.jpg

c6fTGIe.jpg

It plays very nicely, definitely more strat-like than most PRS. Neck feels very much like my 305 (also maple FB). I need to do a back-to-back, later today perhaps, to see if I can detect any nuances between them.

The guitar is in great shape, not played hard or put up wet at all.

Forum members may recognize this instrument. It was owned by a couple of them, I believe. I saw it pop up on Reverb being sold by CME, and the price (after a quick negotiation) was too good to pass up.

VE8K88A.jpg

c6fTGIe.jpg

It plays very nicely, definitely more strat-like than most PRS. Neck feels very much like my 305 (also maple FB). I need to do a back-to-back, later today perhaps, to see if I can detect any nuances between them.

The guitar is in great shape, not played hard or put up wet at all.

Congrats! I know where that lived. Two places, actually. Touched it. Fun guitar, for sure!

Congratulations! Really like the neck/bird inlays.
One of my "needs" for a DC3 was birds and maple neck+FB. I also wanted a Seafoam Green finish, but could not get that triple constraint to materialize.

They seem to be the same style as on my 305. I will do a more detailed look later, when I get a chance.

The number of folks who comment on the bird inlays when I play PRSi is significant. So the trademark feature works well, IMHO.

So I did compare the 305 to the DC3. Also did a comparison to my mexi-strat, which has a varnished maple neck and FB. The PRSi and their satin maple necks are so much nicer.

The DC3, compared to the 305, is a bit thinner or less "rounded". Which makes it more strattish. It is also lighter, by about a pound or two.

More interestingly, both, compared to the actual Fender product, were much "better" sounding. The strat definitely has that ice pick tone in position 1, whereas the PRSi were both more pleasant sounding.

I will continue to compare, but the DC3 is different enough to make it worthy.

Now I need to wait for a maple-FB Silver Sky to round out my desires.

Man, I used to have a DC3 and I regret getting rid of it. I'd love to try out a SS to see how it compares. Currently, the S shaped hole in my gear closet is filled by a lovely partscaster I put together.

Back