NGD- My first PRS!!

Squirrel

My dream came true. I have wanted a PRS forever. But I haven't had the spare budget for a new guitar for several years. No problem though, I have enjoyed playing more affordable used gear: '08 Epiphone SG that I picked up real cheap last year (SG and case for $150), and a ~1990 Alvarez Dana that had been my only electric guitar since '95 or so.

I usually like to buy things from my favorite local shop. They are a small business with great people, but they don't have many affordable guitars. The PRS guitars that they have are a notch or two or more out of reach for me. And since the Rona is still going around, I don't want to go anywhere else to check one out. There is a GC in the area, but I've heard too many horror stories lately about them.

And since I'm an intermediate player (working on getting better) it doesn't make sense to me spend too far over my head and budget. So I ordered a PRS SE Standard 24 Tobacco Sunburst from a large retailer in Indiana. Sometimes they can be a bit pesky, but I know how to say, "Not now, maybe later." And on this purchase they have been very good to work with.

After doing some research, I was hoping that the SE Standard would be a bit lighter in weight than the fairly heavy Epiphone SG that I have been playing lately. I love the tones from the SG but it is clearly heavier than my new SE Standard.

When I found the SG last year, the stock pickups were way to dark for me, so when the Covid shutdown started, I swapped in a Seymour Duncan Jazz Neck and Custom/59 Bridge. That was a great improvement. But I have no need to change pickups in the PRS SE - I really like all of the tones.

I love the 6 different basic tones provided by the switch and the push/pull tone pot. Right off the bat, I felt that the tone is quite bright, but I know what a tone pot does and I know how to use it, so I'm not at all displeased. I'm just kind of surprised how far I need to go to get the brightness toned down enough. Of course, the other end of the cable goes to a few pedals and an amp, so I can adjust things there also. But I'm glad to have that brightness available so that I can use it when I want to.

For the "bottom of the line" the SE Standard is completely amazing. I'm quite ecstatic with it. Now to see if I can figure out how to post a photo.

Last edited:
Congrats on climbing that mountain to your first PRS, it’s a great feeling to finally get your hands on one. Enjoy it!

Good golly, Miss Molly, I love this guitar. The tone, the way it plays, I can still stare at the wood grain for far too long.

Thanks for the welcome, y'all. I'll try to get a shot of the grain in the body in focus. But seriously, I'd rather be playing it than playing with photos.

Cheers.

You have yourself a classic there! Thanks for suffering through posting the photo. (It’s a right of passage here) ;)

Enjoy your bonding time.

Back