NGD, MODCAT question

Turkeyhead

hello, the MODCAT on my new 98 custom 22 doesn’t match the standard format so I decided to join the forum and show everyone this beautiful guitar and ask about the MODCAT on this one. It doesn’t follow the standard and I’m curious what it specifies. I know the owner and he’s extremely knowledgeable so I can always ask him but then I wouldn’t be sharing it with all of you. So, it’s definitely a custom 22, is violin amber. The “10” for 10 top? One the back of the headstock there’s no 10 near the serial number though.

4vrIfGs.jpg

8LRfftc.jpg

13gupMr.jpg

Last edited:
The WF at the end of the writing in the 2nd pic should identify the neck as Wide/Fat. Beyond that, I haven't a clue. Hot looking guitar, though. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks. I have lurked for a long time and I thought I had an account but I guess not. I have some assumptions to what some of the other letters mean but I want to see what people say.

I think the coding system in 1998 is different than current 16 elements coding. And the code elements of this old one seems to be sorted in different order. Did you e-mailed PRS Custservice yet?

CU22VABTQGO
If I had to guess, hmmm...
  • CU22 = Custom 22 (obviously)
  • VA = violin amber color (yes, obviously)
  • B = either Birds inlay or Brazilian fretbord
  • T = Ten top
  • Q = quilted figuring maple
  • G = ...
  • O = ...
  • FQWF in the last photo = quilted figured maple and wide fat neck carve
I think G and O might indicate bridge and PU selector types. Again, this is my 2 cents, hahaha

They didn't start the MODCAT thing until 2000 or so.

Custom, 22 fret, quilt, Wide/Fat. Since it has the 10 in the rout, but not on the headstock, that means they initially graded it as a 10 top, but then downgraded it before clear coat.

Thanks all, so far this all makes sense. I had similar asssumptions as Funkyfreeman. Could “G” be pickup type? In the current reference, “G” is Dragon Zebra pickups. This probably originally had Dragon 1 pickups I assume.

Makes sense about the “10” in the pickup cavity too.

I think the coding system in 1998 is different than current 16 elements coding. And the code elements of this old one seems to be sorted in different order. Did you mailed PRS Custservice yet?

CU22VABTQGO
If I had to guess, hmmm...
  • CU22 = Custom 22 (obviously)
  • VA = violin amber color (yes, obviously)
  • B = either Birds inlay or Brazilian fretbord
  • T = Ten top
  • Q = quilted figuring maple
  • G = ...
  • O = ...
  • FQWF in the last photo = quilted figured maple and wide fat neck carve
I think G and O might indicate bridge and PU selector types. Again, this is my 2 cents, hahaha

G = Guitar
O = Orthodontist Model
;)

The guitar part sounds good. Any idea how many guitars were in the Orthodontist model run. I’ve never hear of those. :p

Back