NGD: Moc Yeah, Sand Yeah, Satin Yeah

RallyFanatic

Perpetual musical mid-life crisis
Apologies for the earworm. Satin Moc Sand Silver Sky arrived today!

A couple observations from other posts I’ve seen here and elsewhere: Compared to my 2019, the frets are marginally bigger, like it only becomes obvious when look for it and think about it. Blindfolded I wouldn’t really notice when playing (except, you know, it’s all satin). And the pickups have a touch less output. I need some more time on that, the strings on my 2019 are beat so I need to change them both to NYXLs for a better comparison.

The finish is definitely very cool, velvety smooth! It’s a different enough sound and experience that I’ll gladly keep both! I’ll share my thoughts more on both once I change strings and make sure everything else is even between the two
A71-F6-FED-C5-C6-49-A5-B086-19-BBEFACB62-C.jpg

E9-B78-E25-BC0-E-465-C-B645-6-F8-B9-C0-CA346.jpg

Congrats. The maple fretboard works really well with that colour.

Re: pickup output. Are the heights the same on both guitars?

Congrats. The maple fretboard works really well with that colour.

Re: pickup output. Are the heights the same on both guitars?

I hope this weekend I can go through and match them up properly. So far the action is the same and the pickups are actually the slightest bit higher on the Maple. I had read in the larger Silver Sky thread that newer models had the pickups slightly revised and I don’t know if I’m hearing that, or it’s the maple board? Hard to tell until the strings are the same in both.

I almost don’t want to change anything though because they both play and sound amazing, and are just different enough to not be redundant!

I hope this weekend I can go through and match them up properly. So far the action is the same and the pickups are actually the slightest bit higher on the Maple. I had read in the larger Silver Sky thread that newer models had the pickups slightly revised and I don’t know if I’m hearing that, or it’s the maple board? Hard to tell until the strings are the same in both.

I almost don’t want to change anything though because they both play and sound amazing, and are just different enough to not be redundant!

I mean, if you’re happy with it then absolutely don’t change anything. Perhaps I misunderstood and thought you wanted them to be the same. My bad.

I’ve seen interviews with pro players who prefer their pickup output to be slightly ‘less’. It’s more of a taste thing I guess. Personally I like my guitars to sound different to each other as well as look different, and that’s exactly what you’ve got. I really like the new one though, it’s that fretboard!

I think it's so cool that your new Sand-colored one is almost like your Gold-colored one, but with the color saturation turned off almost to zero. (RW fretboard --> lighter maple; Gold --> lighter Sand) That's a sweet pairing.

Back