NGD: McRosie - my first rosewood neck guitar!

He’s still got an old gold top Standard with a maple top and a regular neck profile, David Grissom’s old hand signed Standard, a DC3, and the cleanest maple fretboard alder CE in pearl white you’ll ever see...
Is he cleaning house?

He’s still got an old gold top Standard with a maple top and a regular neck profile, David Grissom’s old hand signed Standard, a DC3, and the cleanest maple fretboard alder CE in pearl white you’ll ever see...

All sound yummy... But Pearl White CE with maple board? :cool::cool:

Beautiful! I am in the same boat. I very much have a preference for the RW necks - just love the feel of them.

Love it! Congrats on a fine acquisition... I have an 07 and have no plans of parting with it ;) As everyone has eluded to... crackwood is addicting!

Crackwood!!!!

Someone Had to say it. :rolleyes:

t0RlWPW.jpg

Nice guitar, though. RW rocks.

Last edited:
Took the McRosie to the bandmates' home studio yesterday - laid down a few more tracks - one from scratch, two others from bare bones, and filled out a fourth with some flamenco style guitar (done on a nylon string "classical", not the McRosie). It was an eight-hour session and I still had energy at the end - everyone else was pretty well done, though, so I stopped. I'm also the mixing engineer, so I was just non-stop, maybe that helped keep my focus.

The McRosie sounded great for both rhythm and lead stuff. It felt good in my hands, and I didn't get tired (not that I usually do). I used the single coil mode for a barely dirty rhythm behind a song I wrote a while back that has evolved tremendously recently (was a fast-paced pop-flavored Celtic acoustic number, now it is a mournful light-rocking Celtic "ballad", I suppose). I also did a tasty (to me) lead break near the end of that song with bridge in full humbucker mode, with a fair bit of delay to get somewhat Gilmouresque in feel.

I played through a pedal board using an OCD clone with and without delay/reverb, into my 25W Archon combo, miked with a Beta 57.

An accident happened that had bizarrely good results: when I recorded the first electric track of the day, the rhythm for that Celtic "ballad", the mike I had carefully placed in front of the amp fell over before we started recording, and was laying on the carpet still pointed at the amp. I didn't notice until after we were done that take - dang, gonna have to re-do that! But no, it actually sounded better that way. I am suspicious the Archon, when miked from in front, is a little too "bright" (because it is a high gain djenting metal machine), but lying on the carpet made it sound more like the tones I like out of my HXDA for the work we do. (I'd done a couple tracks at home for a different song using the same mike on my HXDA, no pedal, just HXDA dirt.)

When I did the lead break, the first take was done with mike standing up "properly", pointing off-center of the speaker cone like I usually prefer, and I wasn't happy with the recorded tone (in person it sounded fine.) So I re-did the take with the mike on the carpet: Voila, exactly the tone I had in my head.

So now I need to figure out whether I just use the HXDA, miked "properly", or lay the mike on the carpet using the Archon. Weird.

Took the McRosie to the bandmates' home studio yesterday - laid down a few more tracks - one from scratch, two others from bare bones, and filled out a fourth with some flamenco style guitar (done on a nylon string "classical", not the McRosie). It was an eight-hour session and I still had energy at the end - everyone else was pretty well done, though, so I stopped. I'm also the mixing engineer, so I was just non-stop, maybe that helped keep my focus.

The McRosie sounded great for both rhythm and lead stuff. It felt good in my hands, and I didn't get tired (not that I usually do). I used the single coil mode for a barely dirty rhythm behind a song I wrote a while back that has evolved tremendously recently (was a fast-paced pop-flavored Celtic acoustic number, now it is a mournful light-rocking Celtic "ballad", I suppose). I also did a tasty (to me) lead break near the end of that song with bridge in full humbucker mode, with a fair bit of delay to get somewhat Gilmouresque in feel.

I played through a pedal board using an OCD clone with and without delay/reverb, into my 25W Archon combo, miked with a Beta 57.

An accident happened that had bizarrely good results: when I recorded the first electric track of the day, the rhythm for that Celtic "ballad", the mike I had carefully placed in front of the amp fell over before we started recording, and was laying on the carpet still pointed at the amp. I didn't notice until after we were done that take - dang, gonna have to re-do that! But no, it actually sounded better that way. I am suspicious the Archon, when miked from in front, is a little too "bright" (because it is a high gain djenting metal machine), but lying on the carpet made it sound more like the tones I like out of my HXDA for the work we do. (I'd done a couple tracks at home for a different song using the same mike on my HXDA, no pedal, just HXDA dirt.)

When I did the lead break, the first take was done with mike standing up "properly", pointing off-center of the speaker cone like I usually prefer, and I wasn't happy with the recorded tone (in person it sounded fine.) So I re-did the take with the mike on the carpet: Voila, exactly the tone I had in my head.

So now I need to figure out whether I just use the HXDA, miked "properly", or lay the mike on the carpet using the Archon. Weird.

You should corner the market in Carpet Mic TM!

You should corner the market in Carpet Mic TM!
:D

(Why is there no "laughing" emoji, just a grinning one? They are different emotions...)

I forgot to mention that I had also done a direct comparison of the McRosie to my SE Zach Myers, which might be the PRSi that is closest in wood and configuration, but with hog neck instead of Rosewood: hog body, maple cap, stop tail bridge (though it is a per-string intonation-adjustment bridge), kluson style tuners, rosewood fretboard. Pickups are different, and although the SE pickups at the time were considered a bit harsh by some, I put covers on mine, which seems to have tamed it just enough - at least I like the tone.

The McRosie still sounded a bit softer, as in the previous comparisons, but not miles different. Again, just like rolling off the tone knob to 8 or 9.

I dunno, I guess I was expecting a far greater difference, based on what I had read about Rosewood necks. If you handed me this guitar blindfolded, and it had a gloss finished neck, I'm not sure I woul dbe able to tell, from an aural tone point of view, that is had a RW neck.

:shrug: or maybe ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back