NGD: McRosie - my first rosewood neck guitar!

shinksma

What? I get a title?
In a thread posted a couple of months ago, I indicated my interest in procuring a rosewood-neck guitar. Lots of great suggestions, but I ended up pouncing on a Core acoustic at a great price instead.

At that time, our good friend @sergiodeblanc mentioned that a friend might be looking to sell a McRosie (McCarty with Rosewood neck). I passed at the time, due to the incoming acoustic.

But the itch never got scratched...so I hit up Sergio again. He connected me to his friend, and...

RO8lgRc.jpg

1pjB94I.jpg

f42KX9H.jpg

CBi0PQB.jpg

Mg43DG3.jpg

Played it just a bit after it arrived today - that naked rosewood does feel quite different!

Did not have a chance to crank it up - various telecons for both my wife and me - so end of the work day is going to have come first.

I get to compare it to my other McCartys: a Korina Brazzy McSoapie, a Spruce HB Piezo, and I guess my SH DC 594 - I kinda feel that last one is almost a different model. The HB too, I suppose.

Probably not going to be able to do the comparison tonight, since we're going into the (home) studio for more recording...

Nice score! Guess I shoulda hit Dee up last week. You snooze, you looze! Rock that McRosie!

Thanks everyone. Just taking a short break between flurries of emails, so not quite end of the work day yet, so no "tone report".

Soon, my little precious, soon.

I do wonder whether I'll be as addicted to RW necks as some of you seem to be, or whether I'll be in the camp of "that's nice and different, but I don't need to sell my hog/maple necks. Variety is nice".

Thanks everyone. Just taking a short break between flurries of emails, so not quite end of the work day yet, so no "tone report".

Soon, my little precious, soon.

I do wonder whether I'll be as addicted to RW necks as some of you seem to be, or whether I'll be in the camp of "that's nice and different, but I don't need to sell my hog/maple necks. Variety is nice".
Just one more... it'll be OK... yeah, that's the ticket...

So I had a chance to run the guitar through its paces late yesterday afternoon, and did some comparisons against my Korina Brazzy McSoapie, a SC HB II, and an Al Dimeola Prism. I really don't have a model to directly compare the tonal difference of the rosewood neck with most other factors being the same. (Sounds like I need a hog neck McCarty, right?)

I recorded a backing track into a looper pedal, then played lead breaks on top of it. Oh the horror, playing lead guitar for about 20 minutes straight. :eek: :D

Every guitar was in full humbucking mode (except the McSoapie, duh), with volume and tone at 10, on the bridge pickup.

Anyway, although the McRosie was a little less "present" (like I had rolled off the tone to "8" or "9"), I found it didn't really get "lost" in the mix, which I had heard can be a side-effect of the "scooped mids" that rosewood necks can impart.

Oh, and the split (taped?) coils from pulling on the tone knob were very nice. I need to explore that some more.

And, something I noticed right away when I first played the McRosie - it has 11s on it (11-49) - it felt "stiffer" upon first play, and the calipers proved me out. Seller was sure he had 9s. @sergiodeblanc , does he usually play 9s? Maybe this is a reason he felt he could let it go, because it felt not quite like what he was expecting?

I usually play 10s, with 11s on my piezo HBs. So I'm cool with 11s on this for now.

I should have lots more time tonight or this weekend to experiment more.

Back