NGD: McCarty 594 Semi-Hollow (MODCAT help request)

letterk

My wonderful wife gifted me my first core for Christmas. A great 2019 McCarty 594 Semi-hollow. It's barely played and in fantastic condition. Love it. I was looking for more info on the configuration, but am coming up short. I pulled the neck pickup and ran the MODCAT code through the decoder and it wasn't compatible. Not much of any information made sense. I've read some of the less common guitars have codes that don't work with decoders, so maybe that's why. What I've found was that this was from a limited run. This is what I see on the sticker: NCK-M52HIBVSBGRBE-I5 Anyone know what this all means?

I’ve never seen a MODCAT laid out like that. They normally look like this:

5MM2F-HVIB2_CC_NS-SK

The sequences, dashes, and underscores all matter in the decoding. Did you take a picture of the decal?

Very nice guitar, btw! Your wife gets some serious points for that one!

I’ve never seen a MODCAT laid out like that. They normally look like this:

5MM2F-HVIB2_CC_NS-SK

The sequences, dashes, and underscores all matter in the decoding. Did you take a picture of the decal?

Very nice guitar, btw! Your wife gets some serious points for that one!

Here's the decal.

Fabulous! And ^^^what Rick said^^^.
Pics of the back and neck would help. All I've got to offer is the colour looks like Black Gold.
Congrats!

Yes, Black Gold wrap is what it was advertised as. The back in solid black. The neck is slightly translucent. It's a bit reddish and you can see the wood grain.

And here are the photos.

My wonderful wife gifted me my first core for Christmas. A great 2019 McCarty 594 Semi-hollow. It's barely played and in fantastic condition. Love it. I was looking for more info on the configuration, but am coming up short. I pulled the neck pickup and ran the MODCAT code through the decoder and it wasn't compatible. Not much of any information made sense. I've read some of the less common guitars have codes that don't work with decoders, so maybe that's why. What I've found was that this was from a limited run. This is what I see on the sticker: NCK-M52HIBVSBGRBE-I5 Anyone know what this all means?

What are you looking for specifically?

It 'looks' like a 'regular' core McCarty 594 spec - albeit the Semi-Hollow variant - in Black Gold Wrap. The usual Maple capped Mahogany back and neck with Rosewood fretboard. Being a 594, you know it has the Vintage Neck carve and 24.594" scale, have 58/15 LT pups (as you can see etched into the covers) and coming from 2019, still have the Phase 3 locking tuners - something they 'changed' in 2020. The only thing that is potentially unknown is the finish and Pups which changed to CAB over Nitro and switched to the TCI process throughout the range of models late 2019 but the serial number may help you determine roughly when it was 'finished' if you no longer have the hang tag...

You could provide the serial number and a couple of pictures to PRS Customer Service (email below) and they’ll give you the scoop on the guitar. I’m not certain what that item number is, but I’m sure they’ll know!

What are you looking for specifically?

It 'looks' like a 'regular' core McCarty 594 spec - albeit the Semi-Hollow variant - in Black Gold Wrap. The usual Maple capped Mahogany back and neck with Rosewood fretboard. Being a 594, you know it has the Vintage Neck carve and 24.594" scale, have 58/15 LT pups (as you can see etched into the covers) and coming from 2019, still have the Phase 3 locking tuners - something they 'changed' in 2020. The only thing that is potentially unknown is the finish and Pups which changed to CAB over Nitro and switched to the TCI process throughout the range of models late 2019 but the serial number may help you determine roughly when it was 'finished' if you no longer have the hang tag...

Agree 100%.

The sticker has a 6/21/18 date. I'd guess it was finished early 2019.

Agree 100%.

The sticker has a 6/21/18 date. I'd guess it was finished early 2019.

Which would indicate that its not the CAB over Nitro finish and wouldn't have the TCI process applied to its Pups...

Still not sure what 'information' @letterk is looking for. All the Modcat Decoder will tell you is the 'specs' which are standard across the 'regular' core models - Body Wood, Neck Wood, Scale Length, number of Frets etc and the colour...

if he does find the Modcat, I bet its no different from this...

Model: McCarty 594 Semi-Hollow
Top Wood: Maple
Frets: 22
Top Spec: Figured
Top Grade: Non-Ten Top
Neck Wood: Mahogany
Neck Carve: Pattern Vintage
Fingerboard Wood: East Indian Rosewood
Inlay: Original Solid Birds (pre-2008)
Bridge: 2-Piece Bridge
Color: Black Gold Wrap
Hardware: Nickel
Treble Pickup: 58/15 LT
Middle Pickup: none
Bass Pickup: 58/15 LT
Electronics: McCarty 594

Which is why I asked what in particular they were looking to find out...

Thanks everyone. Was primarily wondering about TCI. But based on date I think it’s pre-TCI. Which is totally fine. It sounds fantastic. I just wanted to know. I wrote PRS as well.

PRS wrote back and confirmed everything. Non-TCI pickups. But I was told the color is a custom color, so that's cool. And yes, that's the modcat. I think it's abnormal because it's not a normal production guitar.

Back