NGD - McCarty 1957/2008

The Artist V and 53/10 limited runs also had the same neck wood, but the 57/08 limiteds are a different kettle of tone, somehow.

The Peruvian neck on my 53/10 ltd looks gorgeous too. And the guitar sounds great. More than great. But I don't have a large selection of other PRS guitars to be able compare to to be able say whether the Peruvian mahogany neck is making the difference. I do consider the guitar to have something special about about it. But then we all say that about our babies

The Peruvian neck on my 53/10 ltd looks gorgeous too. And the guitar sounds great. More than great. But I don't have a large selection of other PRS guitars to be able compare to to be able say whether the Peruvian mahogany neck is making the difference. I do consider the guitar to have something special about about it. But then we all say that about our babies
I would say Peruvian Mahogany necks are a good bet. In the PRS electric guitar book, there’s a section that talks about Paul favouring necks with denser woods for better tone. “Sinker” mahogany and Peruvian Mahogany necks are probably a nod in that direction. My 53/10 limited sounds fantastic too. My 57/08 limited however sounds very different, not better or worse, but very different from the usual PRS tone.

Hoo yeah! That was an epic run.

Here's the one I got:

IMG_5250-800.JPG

Killer guitar, really dig that type of birds.

It's funny, those "J Bird" birds were almost universally blasted on the forums at the time. The common refrain was "they're hollow, PRS is chintzing out by using less material!"

They lasted about 2 years IIRC. Never mind that they took more precision to execute, and they were IMHO more artistic than the old-school birds, especially in abalone. The market spoke and now the old birds are more ubiquitous than ever. I really liked the J Birds too.

I have both and I would say that the 57/08 sounds more articulate and more gritty overdriven while the 53/10 has a more typical 'darker/warmer' mahogany sound which sounds sweeter to my ears. Maybe it is just me but I can feel the resonance from the body of the 57/08 as if it is hollow.

Back