NGD (late post)

merciful-evans

Portsmouth uk
This is John Robson demo-ing a plastic guitar. I have this guitar now.

I've been curious about alternative material guitars for a long time (I briefly had a hybrid Flaxwood).

The guitar was auctioned and I put in the winning bid. I received this late last week. The bid goes to a children's charity.

I agree with John's assessment. It has surprising sustain. I've never experienced sustain like it. TBH, its a bit too much for me.

Cons: Its ugly.
It neck dives (a bit).

Pros: It plays beautifully. It has fine tones. I use neck pickups almost exclusively, and yes, it has a 'woody' tone.
It does indeed have Grover tuners. The neck is exactly as I like; fairly flat, with a wide fingerboard and not too thick.

I will keep a check on the stability, but I expect it to be solid all year long.

Now my curiosity has been satiated I will use the Switch for a recording I have in mind. I may take it to a gig at some point this year, if only for a couple of songs.

Plastic works!

I had a plastic guitar once......
NhB8EcQ.jpg

...... didn't have much sustain tho.:p

I had a plastic guitar, too. When this guy was popular. I also had the raccoon hat with the tail. The 50s were a wonderful time to be a little guy.

kTOFdKG.jpg

(*OK I gotta bust out with some street talk here, pls forgive)

.....:eek: But dayum OG!!! U muss be fartin' dust!!!
At least we had color TV when I wuz a kid.

2tpgC9u.jpg

...........:D

This is John Robson demo-ing a plastic guitar. I have this guitar now.

I've been curious about alternative material guitars for a long time (I briefly had a hybrid Flaxwood).

The guitar was auctioned and I put in the winning bid. I received this late last week. The bid goes to a children's charity.

I agree with John's assessment. It has surprising sustain. I've never experienced sustain like it. TBH, its a bit too much for me.

Cons: Its ugly.
It neck dives (a bit).

Pros: It plays beautifully. It has fine tones. I use neck pickups almost exclusively, and yes, it has a 'woody' tone.
It does indeed have Grover tuners. The neck is exactly as I like; fairly flat, with a wide fingerboard and not too thick.

I will keep a check on the stability, but I expect it to be solid all year long.

Now my curiosity has been satiated I will use the Switch for a recording I have in mind. I may take it to a gig at some point this year, if only for a couple of songs.

Plastic works!

I really like the Switch brand of guitars, I believe they were founded by Trevor Wilkinson (Vintage & Fret King Brands) I used to own a Switch Futur IV until it got stolen. like you say they play beautifully, their polyrethane resin "Vibracell" injuection moulded bodies and necks mean that they should less affected by humidity changes. My featured a Ebonol fingerboard that was sheer joy to play. My local store has a few Switch's in stock but they are all the "Wild I" which I wouldn't mind but there all in day glo colours. hope you get as much fun out of yours as I did from mine.

Switch "Futur IV"

Had a Parker Fly a while back...pity they put such lousy pickups in such a great playing instrument...and no it was not a mojo...

Imagine rapping a piece of plastic for its tap tone.

“I visited the plastic library where they keep the best and most exotic plastics. I tapped 10 neck blanks and was amazed at the consistency. They all sounded the same!!”

To be fair, I had a Modulus Bass with a graphite neck and phenolic fretboard that sounded great, though different from a wood neck bass.

Also had one of the graphite topped Ovations for a short time. I got it to have something to not worry about in winter going from studio to studio, but it did sound like plastic, and recorded poorly.

first acoustic i bought in a shop was an ovation, great in the rain but sounded boring as a bell. i thought it would be ok because glenn campbell, but no.

I really like the Switch brand of guitars, I believe they were founded by Trevor Wilkinson (Vintage & Fret King Brands) I used to own a Switch Futur IV until it got stolen. like you say they play beautifully, their polyrethane resin "Vibracell" injuection moulded bodies and necks mean that they should less affected by humidity changes. My featured a Ebonol fingerboard that was sheer joy to play. My local store has a few Switch's in stock but they are all the "Wild I" which I wouldn't mind but there all in day glo colours. hope you get as much fun out of yours as I did from mine.

Switch "Futur IV"
15018820001_6935df168f_b.jpg

Yes exactly. A Trev Wilkinson brand.

I knew nothing of Switch until I saw John's video. I did some research & immediately knew I really wanted to try one.

Of course the first electric guitars (with magnetic pickups) were made from plastic (Bakelite) and aluminium. It was too radical an idea for the 1930s and it still is today. So we still dont know how far ahead of his time was George Beauchamp was.

I agree, neither do I.
I just hold em in and someday I'll just explode and that'll be my demise, spontaneous human combustion..... I'm sure you've heard about that myth, it's true.:eek:

Of course it's true......Spinal Tap!

Back