NGD: Korina DGT - Pics and Tone Report!

jetydosa

Its here! The Korina DGT from Gig Ready Guitars showed up today and to say Im stoked is an understatement! As you may have read, the did a Wood Library run of these, all Korina bodys/necks w/Braz boards and old birds. Then the first batch arrived, I dispatched none other than the DGT club prez himself to check them out and to attempt to make a pick of the litter of me, at least of the natural ones. He made his very difficult choice and here she is!

Tone report....as no stranger to DGTs myself, as Ive probably owned a good dozen now and played at least double if not triple that, Im pretty familar with its sonic signature, both in mahog/maple cap versions and the all hog versions. I know theyve done Korina back'ed DGTs a few times, but this, an all Korina body/neck is a bit of unchartered territory! Well, it does NOT disappoint!! The guitar, even at a light 7.3 lbs sounds absolutely huge...massive even. It *might* give up say ~2% of the maple/hog girth, but it MORE than makes up for it, with absolutely the sweetest midrange on up. All the notes just seem very "round" and have a sweetness to them I just have never heard on a DGT before. Chords are very clear, warm, and single notes just seem to "purr", and the higher you go up the neck, the sweeter the EQ curve is. Amazing. Hats off to Jon at GRG, hats off all the guys at PRS, and a tip of the cap to Kevin for helping this all come together for me.

The color, is a bit hard to capture on this one. Its the usual Korina amber that youve seen if you know the usual "natural Korina" that PRS usually did/does, but these have kind of a "roasted edge" to them..it looks really nice but the effect doesnt quite come through in pics very well. I also must admit, Im not the biggest fan of gold hardware usually, but on this color/finish I think it works well. That said, I may still swap it all out for nickel. ..and maybe black pup rings...and...maybe 57/08s....and...and.....
Onto the pics!!

IMG_0428_zpseb99bde3.jpg~original

IMG_0414_zps0259dd13.jpg~original

IMG_0438_zps5fe08d9c.jpg~original

IMG_0413_zps7c98118b.jpg~original

Dude!!!

Absolutely gorgeous guitar!!!

Keep those rings man, they look sweet!!!

Maybe get a custom wooden backplate and electronics cover and I'd call it perfection...

Just my opinion, but I don't think you could go wrong either way...

Just a stunner.

Yowza that's a beauty! I'm a HUGE fan of korina/limba, think it sweetens up the tone ever-so-slightly compared to mahogany (which I also love haha). The finish on yours is perfect, very nice pics too! Congrats brother!

Incredible. I like what I am hearing in the tone report as well. Loved this run.

WAIT...!!!! Don't change a thing...I looove the hybrid hardware...It fits that guitar better then the one I have it on (Very Angry Larry Special Cust. 22)...Congrats, thats beautiful.

Congrats, that's a hot piece of wood! I bet it sounds as beautiful as it looks.

I really dig the hybrid harware on that one....it just really looks great with the natural korina. Congrats!!!!

absouloutely drop dead kick a$$'n beautiful. I've got a mccarty korina and love it. congrats!

Back