NGD - JW Ltd

IMO, yes, there is. Maybe @11top and @Tosca can weigh in with their thoughts on playability.

I actually prefer it to my 2021 SC594 in terms of playability. I am more a fan of 60’s neck profile LPs and initially thought the JW had a slightly thinner neck than the standard PV on the 594. Digital calipers confirmed the neck profiles are the same (.980 in at 12th fret, .908 in at 3rd fret). Just slightly (very slightly) smaller frets, and maybe the different (awesome) feel of the thin nitro finish were combining to create the impression of a thinner neck. It is a smooth, easy, “slinky” player. I love it.

It is also the lightest PRS SC with this body thickness I’ve played/owned by a noticeable margin. That may just be luck.

Last edited:
As promised here is a fret height/width comparison of:
1) A 2021 Core SC 594 (the purple Iris one I posted recently).
2) The 2021 JW limited SC 594
3) My 2019 Brian’s WL DGT
4) My PS MEV, which I spec’d with SS frets with flattened tops like the 594. Was told they use SS fret wire the same size as the DGT for this (and the width is identical).

The JW fret ht/width is just slightly small than a core 594 (.15/.4 mm respectively).

BnghOEo.jpg

4) My PS MEV, which I spec’d with SS frets with flattened tops like the 594. Was told they use SS fret wire the same size as the DGT for this (and the width is identical).

The JW fret ht/width is just slightly small than a core 594 (.15/.4 mm respectively).

BnghOEo.jpg
Well super useful, I have a DGT which I really like the fret height 6100, so interesting the difference between the SC594 and JW Ltd and PRS only mention S/S and no other info about frets , will get my digital caliper out tomorrow and have a measure of a couple of other PRS guitars and a Gibson R9 Les Paul VOS which was pleked to death at the factory when it was made 2006 and really too low fret wise for me! Height is more important than width to me, so I reckon Joe specced something dimension wise more vintage style ! Thanks for posting this info ! Think I still will be ordering one !

Just done some research and think the fretwire used is Jescar , they even have a pic of a PRS on their site and appears to be this 47095-S that is used on the JW !

Reference # Crown Size (Width & Height) Tang Width Alloy Feet per Pound 2ft Lengths per Pound By the Pound Coiled 2ft Straight Length 25 Piece Set
Fret Wire 47095* .095″ X .047 (2.41 X 1.19 mm) 0.0210" NS18% 52.3 26 ✅ ✅ ✅
Fret Wire 47095-S .095″ X .047 (2.41 X 1.19 mm) 0.0210" Stainless Steel 57.6 28 ✅ ✅ ✅
Fret Wire 47095-EVO .095″ X .047 (2.41 X 1.19 mm) 0.0210" EVO Ni-Free Gold 52.3 26 ✅

From PRS website "PRS craftsmanship combine in the McCarty 594 Singlecut Joe Walsh Limited Edition to create an instrument that plays in tune, is intonated the entire length of the neck, and feels like a guitar that you’ve been playing forever." I think this statement explains the smaller fretwire all about more accurate intonation. Must be a JW requirement and S/S so you do not wear them out to need replacing quickly, this is my bare minimum as all my other guitars are higher and wider bar a Strat with 6105 wire which is higher but not as wide. The Gibson Les Paul 2006 R9 checked out at 0.1065 W but has been pleked to death 0.335 H from new. So looks like I will be going ahead, thanks for the useful info that has been posted !

Must admit I might have gone for a PRS Singlecut 594 wood library if it had a Brazy board but cannot get them in the UK but you can get the JW here not sure how many are coming in but not many !

BnghOEo.jpg
Thanks for this, Mark. Any chance you could toss in the Silver Sky frets????? Pretty please!

Thanks for this, Mark. Any chance you could toss in the Silver Sky frets????? Pretty please!

What makes you so sure I have a Silver Sky to measure?

Just kidding...I will check them both out over the weekend sometime (in case the RW vs Maple FB versions are any different, which I doubt).

What makes you so sure I have a Silver Sky to measure?

Just kidding...I will check them both out over the weekend sometime (in case the RW vs Maple FB versions are any different, which I doubt).
Thanks, brother!

Back