NGD: Joining in on the 30th anniversary party with the Honey Killer

I prefer a nice flamed top, but I have a few quilted or curly maple tops that are really beautiful. I think it has a lot to do with what specific guitar the quilt top is on and the color finish. My two favorite curly maple tops of the ones I have are my Schecter C-1 E/A and my G/L ASAT Tribute semi solid Classic Telecaster.

I call them curly maple, whether that is something completely different from quilted maple is something I would not know where to draw the line at. So please accept my description, knowing that we are talking about the same thing, possibly using different words, or maybe my word is out of context. But we all get the main idea of what we are talking about.

Flame is a variant of curly.

Quilt is, well, just quilt. I think calling quilt "curly" is incorrect.

Best way to imagine it is if the "flame" maple were viewed from the side - it would look wavy, curling up and down, some parts higher, some lower, and that's what makes the figure the figure, does that make sense?

Whereas quilt looks a bit like bunched up fabric laid over the top of the wood - like a quilt... :)

I do getcha though!

I have more flame tops in my arsenal than quilt for sure, and that is partly by design. Quilt really has to grab me - but when it's great it's great, and I believe this CU24 (and the PS Starla in my avatar) are pretty fine examples.

Back