NGD (it's here!) - Cu24 Incoming

zerolight

So I've had my Santana a while and it had a particularly troublesome dead spot. I know most guitars have one and you kinda work around it, but mine pretty much excluded bending the 14th fret on the G string from my playing - and definitely no 16th fret. Having been struggling with it for a while, I reached out to my dealer, who in turn worked with PRS, and they came back offering an exchange. Both the dealer and PRS have been great.

They didn't have another Santana readily available - I could wait of course - but they also offered to let me pick out another model instead. I've had a soft spot for the Cu24 for a long time, having previously owned a Navarro and Cu24 over the past decade or two. This 35th really caught my eye, and it's winging its way to me overnight. All going well it'll be an awesome NGD tomorrow.

a2837386-82a5-459d-975e-66d5af5f263f-48632-1636046140.jpg

Last edited:
My one frustration with it is if I touch the trem it goes out of tune. Pretty sure the nuts not cut quite right. I've ordered some 9.5 guage strings to see if the slots are slightly small. It's disappointing as previous PRS and Suhrs have been totally fine with a little light vibrato from the trem. Not so this one. I've had similar problems with an Anderson Drop Top and my Pro II Strat that I never resolved.

Damn!! The "charcoal" finish is just incredible--you really have to see it in person to appreciate just how incredible it is, though. And I must say, yours is an excellent one. What a tremendous guitar the 35th CU24-08 is.

Charcoal is the best and that’s a great example! Beautiful 35th anniversary!

Question for you……is the trem parallel to the top? With all the weather changes in shipping, it could be a simple adjustment of the trem claw.
Yep. Parallel. I've lubed the nut slots. I've dropped a string gauge. Wiggle the trem, everything goes sharp. Bend each string and they come back to pitch. Press behind the nut and the string goes sharp. Seems the strings are binding in the nut.

I’d take a used D string and run it through through the upper string slots once or twice. I use a low E string on the bottom 3. If it’s a new guitar, it’ll probably take a week or two. I go all the way up and then all the way down three or four times each time I take a new guitar out of the case to practice. They stay in tune after a week or two. And I use my trem.

I’d take a used D string and run it through through the upper string slots once or twice. I use a low E string on the bottom 3. If it’s a new guitar, it’ll probably take a week or two. I go all the way up and then all the way down three or four times each time I take a new guitar out of the case to practice. They stay in tune after a week or two. And I use my trem.
Thanks. I've already run a string through each slot and given it a good long wiggle of the trem. I'll repeat it tomorrow and see what happens. Last few PRS I've owned were good out the box.

Back