NGD - it's arrived !!

Barquentine

Thought I may as well start a new thread. I'll try and get pics at some point.

So, my S2 Singlecut in Frost Green arrived a day late thanks to UPS. Anderton's have given me loyalty points by way of compensation.

For starters, it looks AMAZING but is it green ? Looks more blue-ish to me. It has a very slight sparkle to it but it's not in the least bit garish. I can't find a flaw anywhere and it's beautifully put together. Some guitars feel like a single thing rather than a bunch of parts - my '63 SG Junior does and the S2 has the same feel. The tuners, bridge and nut all look classy. The knobs are okay but feel a little loose. Plugging in, the jack socket feels snug and tough. The fretwork is great and it's set up as well as I need it to be. Intonation is spot on. Action is just how I like it - not too low. No need for a set-up.

I spent an hour or so swapping between this and my Bernie through my Yamaha THR 100 Dual. My Bernie has a Bare Knuckle Abraxas pup set and I was concerned that the pups on the S2 might not make the grade although I really wanted to get something that didn't immediately suggest that new pickups are in order. So far, I'm really pleased with the 7 pickups. They're very similar to the Abraxas set. In a blind listening test I'm not sure I'd know which guitar was which. My Firebird with BK Rebel Yells sounds completely different. The necks are very different. The Bernie is much thicker and I love it but the S2 neck is very comfortable to play.

All in all I'd say there's something about the S2 that's a little classier than the Bernie. It looks like a perfectly built professional instrument. I had been thinking about a Les Paul but their reputation isn't so good these days. I jammed with a bunch of guys recently and the other guitarist had a gorgeous, very expensive looking LP. It went out of tune during every song and not just a little bit. Also, Henry J seems to be such a complete tool who is hated by his employees that I would be reluctant to send any cash his way. Paul's employees all seem to be very happy elves who love working for him.

I got this guitar for £799 which includes a great, well designed gig bag. I can't imagine anything coming close at this point.

Last edited:
Let me be the first to say...

PICS OR IT'S AN EPI!!!

Just kidding, I'll be first to say congrats to you on a great guitar! I think the #7's were born in PRS singlecuts, so I'm not surprised to hear that they sound great in there. The S2 neck carve is sweet too.

But, really, we want pics

congrats and enjoy your new axe. Now you can start thinking about your next PRS:cool:

Happy NGD! I kept checking yesterday to see how I went, but I guess good things come to those who wait.

I got a little confused when you referred to it as an SE early in the review, but after a little more coffee, I was able to figure it out. ;-)

Enjoy your new guitar -- I'm looking forward to the pics!

-Melissa

Hhmmm...It has been two days and no pics. I am starting to think we are being taken for a ride...

Back