NGD: International Trade, Part 2

]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
After roughly a week of tweaking the truss rod, adjusting intonation/action, pickup height, lowering bridge screws, digging through parts for the right trem arm, trying different strings, and finally (this morning) getting all the stars to align, it's finally dialed-in the way I want it. So, without further delay, I'd like to present the other half of a sweet trade with my friend Bodia.

When you get a moment, grab your sharpie, jump to page 61 of your updated version of Dave Burluck's 'The PRS Guitar Book' and change the date. This McCarty Cherry PRS EG proto was born on 16 September 1994. I don't know who Tony is or what he was trying to accomplish with this unusual EG, but I dig it. I dig it a lot.

I have not been able to determine which pickups these are but they are remarkable. The all-mahogany body dressed-out with 10-52NYXL strings give this a guitar a piano-like quality. I grabbed it for the collection, not as a player. Pretty good chance that gets flipped.

Thank you, Jim.

UPDATE: This guitar rips! Between the killer tone, fat neck, and low-key style, I’m absolutely loving it.

i-H7zTv5z-X4.jpg

i-ZnDGVgm-X4.jpg

i-56WQCgp-X4.jpg

i-JrDXPPk-X4.jpg

i-ThspkFT-X4.jpg

i-fZWmKWK-X4.jpg

Last edited:
EDIT: Never mind, just looked at all the photos, including the one that clearly says it's a prototype. so it must be the latter?

If the EG really went from '91 - that makes this not a prototype, but a special one off custom that Paul made for Jim. Or maybe it *is* a prototype and Paul was thinking of offering a set-neck version like this part way through the run?

If the EG really went from '91...

Without giving it much thought, I’m aware of at least 5 different iterations if the EG.

...that makes this not a prototype...

i-fktrRT6-S.jpg

...but a special one off custom that Paul made for Jim.

Jim is Bodia. Paul signed the guitar for him.

Or maybe it *is* a prototype...

i-fktrRT6-S.jpg

...and Paul was thinking of offering a set-neck version like this part way through the run?

I’ll ask Mike Deely. Good chance he also knows why it reads ‘see Tony’ in the pickup cavity.

Last edited:
Back