NGD - I Made It All The Way To Jan. 9

Well, I did have to sleep!

So, as @bodia said, it's a Holcomb SVN 7-string. I talked to my local pusher at nstuff music back when these were first announced, and I asked him to let me know when the first one in Holcomb Burst came in. About a week before Christmas, when my buddy and I were going out record shopping, I checked their web page because I was going to be in the area. They had one - in walnut. I told my wife I didn't even want to play it because I'd end up talking myself into thinking I could live w/the walnut finish, and that's not what I wanted. Turns out it wasn't a concern - they sold it before they even put it up on the wall. But I got the call yesterday that the Holcomb burst was in. My guy said he'd inspected it and made sure it was set up well, and said it played really well. So after work and dinner, away I went.

Got there about half an hour before the store closed. They brought out the guitar, pulled it out of the box, and asked if I wanted to plug it in. I said that was fine, but I was pretty sure I'd already committed to it. Jason said, "Yeah, but if you want anything adjusted, we can do that before you leave." Good point - that's why he's the expert and why I trust him completely. So I plugged it in. And pretty much right away knew - they weren't adjusting anything. The setup was perfect for me - great action, no buzz. The fretboard is silky smooth. The Alpha and Omega pickups sound just like I expected. I love the chime they add in single-coil mode. There is some fantastic figure in the veneer, and this might have the most purple I've seen yet in a Holcomb Burst. That's the closest thing I have to a complaint about the finish - I love purple, so more = better! And this ends a 15-year+ streak of not having any duplicate finishes in my PRSi. I have the six-string version in Holcomb Burst as well.

When I got it home and was showing it to my wife, I noticed two small scuffs on the top, but the light has to hit them just right to see them. My wife never did see them, although she said she could feel a bit of roughness around one (I couldn't feel anything around the other). When I took it downstairs to my music area, with better lighting, I pulled out a set of readers to check it up close and...I don't think they're scuffs. I think it's just how the top catches the light. There is a bit of roughness, like a scuff, but it's not above the one mark, it's to the side of it. So I'll hit it w/some polish this weekend and forget about it.

But none of that is why you're here, so...

HolcombSVN01.jpg

HolcombSVN02.jpg

HolcombSVN03.jpg

HolcombSVN04.jpg

HolcombSVN05.jpg

HolcombSVN06.jpg

Excellent! I will pick up one of these eventually - I love the Alpha/Omegas in my SE Holcomb 6, and really like the regular edition SVN with ebony board I also have, so this is the best of both worlds!

Excellent! I will pick up one of these eventually - I love the Alpha/Omegas in my SE Holcomb 6, and really like the regular edition SVN with ebony board I also have, so this is the best of both worlds!

I've wanted the SVN since they were announced. Could never find one. Even at the last Experience, I had Brian ask if they had any, and they did not. In the end, it's a good thing because one of the first things I'd have done was buy a set of these pickups. This ended up being cheaper!

Score! Looking forward to the comparison of this one vs the older 25" scale 7-string.

Me, too. There's a difference in the fretboard and the pots, but they both have the A/O pups in them, so it should be a decent comparison. I just have to learn to be conversant on 7-string!

Back