NGD Gorgeous Westy !

Andrew Paul

The cat's meow
UPS came with my new guitar, a 2008 1980 West St. limited. This thing is gorgeous. No pick scratches, no real playing time, dead mint. I have not had an all mahogany guitar in a long time, I once owned a core Starla. That’s Starla would sustain forever and the same with this guitar, single notes high up on the fretboard just ring on and on. All my Paul Reed Smith guitars have awesome sustain but this one is a freak of nature. And I haven’t even change the strings yet. The strings on this thing are pretty old. Very thrilled. Just have to get used to the Santana type volume/tone controls way out of the way. I’m used to more sounds than just three but I am not going to modify this one. No push pull tone, coil taps etc. The green abalone is just incredible, the birds, the headstock eagle, the om sign, and even a little dragon.

Anyone out there who owns the West Street limited please post your comments on what you like about them.

Great day, cheers !!

1AYi6b3.jpg

4sP7Xcr.jpg

zXNhdmW.jpg

Ha985y1.jpg

GREAT SCORE! Dig the orange. You hit the nail on the head about these, too. I LOVE everything about mine. Chunky neck. All hog. Scale length. Frets. Pickups. My Modcat came back with 57/08, but I thought they were supposed to be a different pick up. Can't remember what. The only thing I changed on mine was replacing the speed knobs with amber lampshades. It quickly became my favorite. Welcome to the club!

Congrats! I’ve been looking at some Amber ones, but hard to find the right weight.

GREAT SCORE! Dig the orange. You hit the nail on the head about these, too. I LOVE everything about mine. Chunky neck. All hog. Scale length. Frets. Pickups. My Modcat came back with 57/08, but I thought they were supposed to be a different pick up. Can't remember what. The only thing I changed on mine was replacing the speed knobs with amber lampshades. It quickly became my favorite. Welcome to the club!

Yes I have a pair of new style Amber lampshade speed knobs I’m going to put on. When I change the strings I’ll check out the modcat and what pickups it has.

Everything I’ve read is the pick ups are supposed to be RP or known as modern Eagle neck pick up and HFS in the bridge but I’ll confirm is this week.

What I love about the West Street/Santana/KL33 platform is that it’s like an alternative universe Frankenstein Superstrat, but built from the DNA of a Les Paul instead.

The authority of the notes due to the shorter scale length and the substantial feeling of the necks and body... it just kinda feels like a “man’s guitar” for lack of a better term.

I feel like it’s also an excellent example of a guitar for an egoist. It’s big sounding, the neck pickup being pushed back a bit helps you cut through another guitarist’s 22 fret guitar if they also happen to be on the neck pickup.... and they’re just dead sexy to hold and look at.

The controls tucked back towards the @ss guarantees you’ll never accidentally hit them while you’re demanding all the attention being an obnoxious lead guitar bad@ss, and that big long neck with all the frets and the shorter scale means you can bend the crap outta notes without worrying about breaking your cocaine pinky nail.

I think I feel such an affinity for it because, like me, it’s very much a child of the 70’s. A continuation and refinement of those double cut LP inspired guitars like Hamers, Yammy SBGs, and Ibanez Artists.

It’s a guitar for a BMX riding-dope smoking-latch key kid-who lost his virginity at 13 and who didn’t have adult supervision all day until the street lights came on.

What I love about the West Street/Santana/KL33 platform is that it’s like an alternative universe Frankenstein Superstrat, but built from the DNA of a Les Paul instead.

The authority of the notes due to the shorter scale length and the substantial feeling of the necks and body... it just kinda feels like a “man’s guitar” for lack of a better term.

I feel like it’s also an excellent example of a guitar for an egoist. It’s big sounding, the neck pickup being pushed back a bit helps you cut through another guitarist’s 22 fret guitar if they also happen to be on the neck pickup.... and they’re just dead sexy to hold and look at.

The controls tucked back towards the @ss guarantees you’ll never accidentally hit them while you’re demanding all the attention being an obnoxious lead guitar bad@ss, and that big long neck with all the frets and the shorter scale means you can bend the crap outta notes without worrying about breaking your cocaine pinky nail.

I think I feel such an affinity for it because, like me, it’s very much a child of the 70’s. A continuation and refinement of those double cut LP inspired guitars like Hamers, Yammy SBGs, and Ibanez Artists.

It’s a guitar for a BMX riding-dope smoking-latch key kid-who lost his virginity at 13 and who didn’t have adult supervision all day until the street lights came on.

WOW what a reply! It makes me want to go out tonight rock it through Marshall Stack in some smokie dive bar that reeks of old beer and Jack Daniels with a bunch of screaming metalheads!

Seriously been playing this guitar for hours now. There’s no mellow with this guitar it really wants to be played at high drive. Definitely would not be my choice for single coil-lie clean tones and mellow jazz. Any backing tracks I play to just makes me wanna rock it louder and louder... serious screaming leads with lots of bends..... I think you basically said the same thing. I was playing Europa by Santana earlier and man it sustains in the parts where it needs to! Also been jamming to some 80’s style rock ballads... this thing screams.... I know I said that before...... Did I mention it screams?

WOW what a reply! It makes me want to go out tonight rock it through Marshall Stack in some smokie dive bar that reeks of old beer and Jack Daniels with a bunch of screaming metalheads!

Seriously been playing this guitar for hours now. There’s no mellow with this guitar it really wants to be played at high drive. Definitely would not be my choice for single coil-lie clean tones and mellow jazz. Any backing tracks I play to just makes me wanna rock it louder and louder... serious screaming leads with lots of bends..... I think you basically said the same thing. I was playing Europa by Santana earlier and man it sustains in the parts where it needs to! Also been jamming to some 80’s style rock ballads... this thing screams.... I know I said that before...... Did I mention it screams?

Right on!

I’m not sure I totally agree about there being no mellow in the guitar though. Maybe because I got to choose my own pickups my guitar is different, but I find a ton of mellow in there.

This is all West Street, and the chorus is mixed to practically 80% my rhythm guitar.

Right on!

I’m not sure I totally agree about there being no mellow in the guitar though. Maybe because I got to choose my own pickups my guitar is different, but I find a ton of mellow in there.

This is all West Street, and the chorus is mixed to practically 80% my rhythm guitar.

Very nice song great guitar sounds! Maybe I overstated it a bit in my excitement but when I say mellow I really mean totally clean single coil sounds like what I get from my Paul’s guitar brushstroke 24 coil split sound, or 5909 neck pickup. What pickups do you have in yours?

By the way I was checking out sound cloud a while ago and there is a song with the lyrics “light shines in your eyes baby you’re a superstar” is that your song?

Very nice song great guitar sounds! Maybe I overstated it a bit in my excitement but when I say mellow I really mean totally clean single coil sounds like what I get from my Paul’s guitar brushstroke 24 coil split sound, or 5909 neck pickup. What pickups do you have in yours?

By the way I was checking out sound cloud a while ago and there is a song with the lyrics “light shines in your eyes baby you’re a superstar” is that your song?

I have a covered 59/09 in the bridge and one of the first run of covered 57/08s in the neck. Originally I went with a 53/10 in the neck but it was to big and dark sounding for that particular guitar.

I have no idea about the song unless you post a link... I’m notoriously ambivalent about knowing lyrics to songs unless I have to sing them, which doesn’t happen very often anymore, thank god!

Back