NGD-FNM2 vs FTM2(i.e. 509 vs. 513)

Dancing Frog

Senior 513 Whore
IMG_1951.jpg
IMG_1965.jpg
IMG_1971.jpg
IMG_1973.jpg
IMG_1974_1.jpg

I wanted to be able to relate authoritatively what the difference between the 509 and 513 production models were, so I went out and got a 509. I compared it to my 2007 513, it's the dark cherry sunburst on the right. It turns out to be exactly the same difference that I saw between the PS versions. Besides the obvious, different neck carve, phase III hardware, and electronics, the neck pick ups are similar in tone as singlecoils, but the 509 has less nose and less noise. The bridge pick ups as singlecoils are quite a bit different, the 509 growls more like a tele.

I also had the chance to compare it with the Guitar of the Month version. There are differences in tone, but the production version still has the magic. I ran them both through the Axe-FX 2 tone match block and watched it create differential EQ for the neck and bridge pick ups. It turns out the GOTM version has slightly more mid scoop, and substantially more presence.

Last edited:
Sweet guitars!!

What is FNM2 and FTM2

Five o' Nine Maple and Five Thirteen Maple?

Cool, thanks for doing this! I've always had a hankering for a 513, and wondered if the 509 was a "compromise" or simply a shift or even minor improvement. I think whichever model I end up buying (and I will have one, eventually), I will be happy!

Cool, thanks for doing this! I've always had a hankering for a 513, and wondered if the 509 was a "compromise" or simply a shift or even minor improvement. I think whichever model I end up buying (and I will have one, eventually), I will be happy!
IMHO, it's an evolutionary shift, a 513-408 hybrid.

When the pickups are on the humbucking mode on the 509; does it sound more similar to the "heavy humbucking" or "regular humbucking" on the 513?

When the pickups are on the humbucking mode on the 509; does it sound more similar to the "heavy humbucking" or "regular humbucking" on the 513?
It's like regular humbucking, but hotter. I used to say that the clear humbucking mode on 513 reminded me most of Archtop pick ups. The 509 humbucking mode sounds like they were replaced by 5708's, more signal with more articulation. The bridge pup is the most different with its telecaster voicing. That just growls.

Back