NGD-First Guitar day

ScottR

If nobody saw it, it didn't happen.
NGD/FGD- Well, the day finally arrived! After 49.9 years I finally got my very first guitar. Of course...it HAD to be a PRS. I have always had a great love of music and a great respect/love of guitars. I received mine from Sweetwater today! I couldn't be more excited! That being said...I am also very anxious! I finally have the time to dedicate to learning and hopefully doing it the right way. My camera stinks so I am posting pics that Sweetwater sent me. Wish me luck fellas I'm gonna need it!

Congrats...you are the 2nd person to get a guitar this week as a 50th gift. And I did the same a few months ago. It's no mid-life crisis thing...not a chance I'm living to 100...but here's hoping you do!

...After 49.9 years I finally got my very first ...
Generally, a statement like that would be followed by, "colonoscopy" or "unsightly ear hair", but I'm glad it was something more soothing to the soul, like "guitar"! Post your pics when possible and we'll continue to help you celebrate. :cool: Have you thought about your amp needs? Having a cool guitar is only part of the equation.

Generally, a statement like that would be followed by, "colonoscopy" or "unsightly ear hair", but I'm glad it was something more soothing to the soul, like "guitar"! Post your pics when possible and we'll continue to help you celebrate. :cool: Have you thought about your amp needs? Having a cool guitar is only part of the equation.

Strange you should the mention that medical terminology...I heard one of those this week :eek:...my sudden mortality was definitely part of my closing arguments to my wife. BOOM! It worked!
I certainly have been considering amps. As a complete beginner and a self professed spec nerd...I have been blown away by the choices and to start I have kind of narrowed it down to a small practice amp (with a must have headphone output) for now. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
Happy birthday!

And...since you're starting on a PRS, get a decent tube amp so the guitar's excellence isn't wasted by playing through a crappy rig. One simple thing played on a good guitar through a nice amp sounds a lot better than that same simple thing played through junk.

If you need to use headphones, there are plenty of inexpensive load boxes with headphone outputs on the market to plug your amp into, so don't let headphone issues limit your choices.

Also...just a suggestion about learning to play any instrument...get a metronome. There are very inexpensive ones on the market; Korg even makes a cheap tuner with a metronome built in. Timing really is everything. How many notes you play isn't as important as timing and note choice.

And you'll annoy everyone a lot less if you stay in tune.

Thanks to everyone! I'm having issues loading my pics..my avatar is the only one I've gotten thus far. The amp info is huge! It's a bit overwhelming for a newb to say the least. So thanks so much for the input guys! I started with the SE Custom 24, as a jumping off point but, knowing me...it will lead to something closer to the top of the line somewhere. Thanks again fellas!

Les point about the metronome is huge. You can get a free app for your phone, with no need to upgrade. It`s essential to me. That`s a fantastic guitar to start with. Nothing approaches the bang for the buck. I`m also going to suggest a tech 21 Trademark 30 as your starter amp. Go to tech21nyc.com and listen to the sound samples.They are accurate. It`s a 15 pounder that you can carry in a gig bag, and it can sound like about 90% of the amps out there. They`re USA made, very inexpensive,and really reliable. I`ve had mine for 15 years. I`ve even used the line out in large venues to go through the PA when playing 20`s jazz through an archtop. And of course, it rocks. Recording engineers in this area love it.

NGD/FGD- Well, the day finally arrived! After 49.9 years I finally got my very first guitar. Of course...it HAD to be a PRS. I have always had a great love of music and a great respect/love of guitars. I received mine from Sweetwater today! I couldn't be more excited! That being said...I am also very anxious! I finally have the time to dedicate to learning and hopefully doing it the right way. My camera stinks so I am posting pics that Sweetwater sent me. Wish me luck fellas I'm gonna need it!

Congrats man! I just did the same thing. Like others have said, never to late to start. Here to having fun with your new guitar. *clinking glasses*

Congrats and Amen to using a metronome. As a friend of mine said better to play the wrong note in time than the right note out of time

I really like it! I think that looks like a great fit. Only one problem...it looks like it's a little hard to find other than I think at GC/MF. Looks like exactly what I am looking for in a first amp. Got a chappy one I borrowed temporarily, and a set of decent headphones. But this definitely checks all the boxes. Thanks for the heads up!

Congrats, nice guitar and happy birthday. With everyone turning 50 this week I'm starting to feel old. I'll be 51 in four weeks.

Congrats on a fine new guitar. I bought the same model and color also last month, from Sweetwater too. It's a great guitar. Good luck on your amp quest.

Back