NGD!! Finally rejoined the PRS family for good!!

After you've played it for a few months, I think you'll be surprised that it'll do basically everything really well. What Telly?

After you've played it for a few months, I think you'll be surprised that it'll do basically everything really well. What Telly?

Im hoping it is a mainstay. I play country so I still gotta have a guitar that twangs. My tele is an Tom Anderson Hollow T classic. It’s super light and resonant and I love the pickups Tom winds. He really did a great take on modern version of a classic design. The contours make it super comfortable to play.
v8mjDXE.jpg

I have had a love hate relationship with PRS for a few years. Loved looking and listening to them but just couldn’t bond with them. Had a S2 singlecut for a few months and hated the pickups so I moved up to an older CE24. Just could not get along with the neck so I traded it away. Been watching videos on Sweetwater’s website and have always loved Don Carr’s tone when he was playing his 513. One popped up on another forum and I decided to take a chance and I’m glad I did.

It’s a 2009 and seller said it was a dealer exclusive model and one of the few that have a matching headstock. I had a bit of a learning curve doing a setup bc I have a trem on my other guitars. Once it was dialed in I was very pleased. I was afraid the neck was going to be too fat but it feels really good. The fret work is very nice and it plays smooth all the way up.

Now to the tone. Best way to describe it is wow!! This guitar sounds amazing. My main amp is a Mesa Mark V with vertical 2x12 cab. I play predominantly 90s to modern country with some rock mixed in. There are so many great tones possible with this guitar and the three channels on the Mark. It’s very responsive to volume and tone changes on the guitar as well. It says 13 different tones but I can easily double that if I wanted to with just the controls. By far I’m most impressed with the clear humbucking tones. I’ve struggled to find an HH guitar to pair with my tele. The clear humbucking mode has just the right amount of oomph to it while maintaining a clarity that is critical in country music.

I can already tell this will get some major time in our set list. Country music used to be all played on a tele but the last 15 years has seen a major influx of rock tones that need a Humbucker. The 513 will allow me play those songs while still being able to access traditional clean tones that are needed. It took me awhile but I finally realize what all of you guys have been clamoring about with PRS.

A3Vttad.jpg
zs6HViI.jpg
DzCO6yY.jpg
M71SSir.jpg
Congrats! The matched headstock really sets that off.

Love the 513 and yours is absolutely beautiful. PRS-PLEASE bring back the 513!!!!

I did see that they discontinued it or it evolved into a couple other models. I’m not knowledgeable of all the different models but I think they simplified the switching with less choices. The only thing I could really think to add would be a blower switch that engages the bridge in full humbucker mode. This way you can switch from single coil neck to the bridge with one movement. Maybe that could be done with a push pull pot? Not really something I need or want but figuring out options is always fun.

I live about 2hrs away from Sweetwater. I did live in Ft Wayne for years so have watched them grow into mega giant they are now. It’s a terrific facility with a cafe, arcade and even a salon lol. They will get whatever item is instock for you and their pedal area is intense, literally 100s of pedals you can demo. You can spend hours in that place

That is cool that you live fairly close. I make the trip from Indy whenever I get the chance (2-1/2 hrs?). Have also been to a few Gearfests there, hoping for one this year since last year cancelled. Yes, I can spend hours there. :)

I did see that they discontinued it or it evolved into a couple other models. I’m not knowledgeable of all the different models but I think they simplified the switching with less choices. The only thing I could really think to add would be a blower switch that engages the bridge in full humbucker mode. This way you can switch from single coil neck to the bridge with one movement. Maybe that could be done with a push pull pot? Not really something I need or want but figuring out options is always fun.
I got a 509, which goes from single coil neck to full humbucker in the bridge, so there is some evolution. I also got a Johnny Hiland from 2008. That goes from single coil neck to humbucker bridge, but with a maple neck/board and 24 frets. If you pull up on the tone, the neck becomes a humbucker. That's my current #1.

I got a 509, which goes from single coil neck to full humbucker in the bridge, so there is some evolution. I also got a Johnny Hiland from 2008. That goes from single coil neck to humbucker bridge, but with a maple neck/board and 24 frets. If you pull up on the tone, the neck becomes a humbucker. That's my current #1.

That Johnny Hiland sounds Cool. I’m going to look it up. I’m still learning all the different models PRS has offered. Sadly I had started to accept they weren’t for me so didn’t pay much attention to what has been out. Have a lot of catching up to do.

I live about 2hrs away from Sweetwater. I did live in Ft Wayne for years so have watched them grow into mega giant they are now. It’s a terrific facility with a cafe, arcade and even a salon lol. They will get whatever item is instock for you and their pedal area is intense, literally 100s of pedals you can demo. You can spend hours in that place
I know, right??!!

Beautiful guitar and welcome to the 513 club.
I am an addict with 4 of them + an additional one I sold to my bandmate after he accused me of hoarding them. In my opinion, similar to Rick, these are some of the most 'PRS' PRS's and possibly the ultimate desert island guitar. Hope you have loads of fun

I have not been able to try out a 513, but love the middle pickup on my Brent Mason. Does anyone have both? If so, how does the 513 compare to the Brent Mason for single coil tones ?

Cheers Wailing

I love the look of your new guitar - the 513s are great.

I had an Anderson Hollow T in the '90s, and they're excellent, too.

I’m still in the honeymoon phase but im loving this thing. The pickups are incredible and I’m starting to get the hang of the controls. There is a slight increase in gain from about 7 to 10 on the tone knob. Super cool feature to take the top off for rhythm work. Probably the #1 thing I like is how clear everything sounds. It’s definitely made me aware of inconsistent right hand technique I’m now cleaning up. I bet this thing really shines in the studio!!

Beautiful guitar and welcome to the 513 club.
I am an addict with 4 of them + an additional one I sold to my bandmate after he accused me of hoarding them. In my opinion, similar to Rick, these are some of the most 'PRS' PRS's and possibly the ultimate desert island guitar. Hope you have loads of fun

That is sweet you have 4 of them! I saw a couple 408s pop up with the pattern thin neck that are tempting. Any experience with those? Still want to try more semi hollow ce24s bc the one I played at Sweetwater had a great neck.

Back