NGD!! Finally rejoined the PRS family for good!!

Austin_Taunt

I have had a love hate relationship with PRS for a few years. Loved looking and listening to them but just couldn’t bond with them. Had a S2 singlecut for a few months and hated the pickups so I moved up to an older CE24. Just could not get along with the neck so I traded it away. Been watching videos on Sweetwater’s website and have always loved Don Carr’s tone when he was playing his 513. One popped up on another forum and I decided to take a chance and I’m glad I did.

It’s a 2009 and seller said it was a dealer exclusive model and one of the few that have a matching headstock. I had a bit of a learning curve doing a setup bc I have a trem on my other guitars. Once it was dialed in I was very pleased. I was afraid the neck was going to be too fat but it feels really good. The fret work is very nice and it plays smooth all the way up.

Now to the tone. Best way to describe it is wow!! This guitar sounds amazing. My main amp is a Mesa Mark V with vertical 2x12 cab. I play predominantly 90s to modern country with some rock mixed in. There are so many great tones possible with this guitar and the three channels on the Mark. It’s very responsive to volume and tone changes on the guitar as well. It says 13 different tones but I can easily double that if I wanted to with just the controls. By far I’m most impressed with the clear humbucking tones. I’ve struggled to find an HH guitar to pair with my tele. The clear humbucking mode has just the right amount of oomph to it while maintaining a clarity that is critical in country music.

I can already tell this will get some major time in our set list. Country music used to be all played on a tele but the last 15 years has seen a major influx of rock tones that need a Humbucker. The 513 will allow me play those songs while still being able to access traditional clean tones that are needed. It took me awhile but I finally realize what all of you guys have been clamoring about with PRS.

A3Vttad.jpg
zs6HViI.jpg
DzCO6yY.jpg
M71SSir.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet!

So what's next on your PRS list?? ;)

I was in Sweetwater a few weeks ago and I played a semi hollow ce24 that still haunts me today. I almost bought it on the spot but I had the 513 on the way and also that whole discussing big purchases with the wife thing lol. I do plan to go back this summer and play more of them.

Well that's pretty frickin' nice!! Congrats!!!
(Not to be a downer, did it sit unplayed for a while???
The fingerboard appears a little light/dried in the photos...might need a little TLC???)

Good eye!! You are right. It probably did sit unplayed for awhile bc it is very good condition and 11yrs old. When I preformed a basic setup I did lightly condition the fretboard and it helped a lot but did soak it up after a few days. There was some gunk built up around the frets that needed cleaned badly so I say it hadn’t been done in years if ever. I plan to do a more in-depth treatment when I polish the frets but I was excited to play it so it had to wait lol.

Were you passing thru and stopped at Sweetwater or do you live in the area?

Nice forever PRS! The 513 is another stroke of genius from Paul.

I live about 2hrs away from Sweetwater. I did live in Ft Wayne for years so have watched them grow into mega giant they are now. It’s a terrific facility with a cafe, arcade and even a salon lol. They will get whatever item is instock for you and their pedal area is intense, literally 100s of pedals you can demo. You can spend hours in that place

I still think the 513 is the best, and most uniquely PRS, guitar Paul ever made. Congratulations on that one, it’s a beautiful instrument! I have a pair of ‘07s and, while I tend to have dalliances with other guitars that take my fancy for a while, I always return to the 513s as my main performing guitars. They are so versatile and consistent and (as you mentioned) cover all the single and HB tones.

Great score there!

OHHHH that's a really awesome looking one!!! Love the maple headstock maple veneer! Congrats!! Great guitar!! I will have to purchase one again because I miss the humbucker switch from classic to modern. Well done

I still think the 513 is the best, and most uniquely PRS, guitar Paul ever made. Congratulations on that one, it’s a beautiful instrument! I have a pair of ‘07s and, while I tend to have dalliances with other guitars that take my fancy for a while, I always return to the 513s as my main performing guitars. They are so versatile and consistent and (as you mentioned) cover all the single and HB tones.

Great score there!

I don’t think this will unseat my tele as my main guitar but it will get a lot of use. I see the biggest benefit will be the variety on our set list. We were having to group songs that need a Humbucker guitar so I wasn’t switching 3x a hour. Now we can throw some single coil tones in there and break those songs up a bit. It will be a blast carving out its place.

Back