NGD Feeling kind of purple.....

Haven’t been around for a while, Kind of took a break from forums in general but figured I’d share this with you guys. One of two guitars I have coming this month. Just received this unique looking MEV yesterday 2020 experience version. I’m mixing some dealer photos with photos I took yesterday. Enjoy. These are my all-time favorite guitars, close second is Paul’s guitar with TCI pickups.

RRXj5H6.jpg

Hhxp2IJ.jpg

5uRFGdp.jpg

oz1V16j.jpg

yWGGetz.jpg

dL8of6j.jpg

9Z6DLyk.jpg
This thing looks MAGICAL!

Nice, good to see a different colour ME5. I don't know what it is but alot of the 2020 PRS I've seen their finishes look odd? Not sure if that's due to them going back to Nitro?

This looks great HNGD. After I haven't been able to find a cool SH special 22 in the UK (so many cool WL ones in the US, but with import duty/VAT are too £), I've been looking at the ME5.

How have you found the TCI's?

Congrats, killer Purple Fade and curly top on that one!
I bet the Alex chord sounds glorious on it :D

Nice, good to see a different colour ME5. I don't know what it is but alot of the 2020 PRS I've seen their finishes look odd? Not sure if that's due to them going back to Nitro?

This looks great HNGD. After I haven't been able to find a cool SH special 22 in the UK (so many cool WL ones in the US, but with import duty/VAT are too £), I've been looking at the ME5.

How have you found the TCI's?

First the MEV is the most versatile guitar I’ve ever used, tones are endless. The TCI pups sound clear and dynamic. They are alive. I love playing clean on the neck single coil setting with 200k tone switch engaged but that’s not all, I believe there’s 21 switchable tones. I achieved the creamy dirty sound I want. I can’t stress enough how much I love this guitar and the Paul’s guitars with TCI. I can’t really speak to how heavy metal would sound with the pups. The are low output pups so I’m not sure. Hope this helps.

The update to black rings gets a thumbs up from me - I did the same on my charcoal one, along with ebony tuner buttons for the complete darker look.

Speaking of the MEV and its 500k vs 250k volume pot switch, here's some information for the geeks.

What the switch does is simply connect a 500k resistor in parallel with the 500k volume pot, total max equivalent resistance thus ends up being 250k. No fancy special pot design here, just a simple trick.

This got me very curious about the impact it has on the pot's taper compared to a true 250kOhms pot, and that's what we get:
y6L4HxC.jpg

On x we have the volume's position: 100 would be position 10, 50 position 5, 0 position 0
On y we have the pot's resistance for that position.

The line would be a linear 250kOhms pot (I know... PRS uses I think an audio/logarithmic pot but let's keep things simple).
The the curve is what you get when a linear 500k pot is used with a 500k resistor in parallel.
It does affect the taper but it's not too dramatic.

However the taper is affected much more dramatically if you were trying to generate an even lower pot value with this resistor trick. I was interested in it for Eric Clapton Strat electronics which require a 50kOhm pot that pretty can only be found in one single shaft length that is very hard to use on a rear routed body with laminate top; I don't have the graph anymore for this use case it looks like it could almost make a logarithmic pot behave like a linear one... probably not a good idea.

Either way enjoy ;-)

Speaking of the MEV and its 500k vs 250k volume pot switch, here's some information for the geeks.

What the switch does is simply connect a 500k resistor in parallel with the 500k volume pot, total max equivalent resistance thus ends up being 250k. No fancy special pot design here, just a simple trick.

This got me very curious about the impact it has on the pot's taper compared to a true 250kOhms pot, and that's what we get:
y6L4HxC.jpg

On x we have the volume's position: 100 would be position 10, 50 position 5, 0 position 0
On y we have the pot's resistance for that position.

The line would be a linear 250kOhms pot (I know... PRS uses I think an audio/logarithmic pot but let's keep things simple).
The the curve is what you get when a linear 500k pot is used with a 500k resistor in parallel.
It does affect the taper but it's not too dramatic.

However the taper is affected much more dramatically if you were trying to generate an even lower pot value with this resistor trick. I was interested in it for Eric Clapton Strat electronics which require a 50kOhm pot that pretty can only be found in one single shaft length that is very hard to use on a rear routed body with laminate top; I don't have the graph anymore for this use case it looks like it could almost make a logarithmic pot behave like a linear one... probably not a good idea.

Either way enjoy ;-)

thank you so much for that detailed information. As subtle as the the difference is I can hear it and enjoy it in the single coil mode.

Back