NGD - Experience Modern Eagle V

Awesome axe. Totally selfish request, but I’d love someone to do an A/B of MEV single coil modes vs a few common single coil guitars.

Great review and reflects my thought. Yours is pretty much a twin of my charcoal Exp MEV!!

Great review and reflects my thought. Yours is pretty much a twin of my charcoal Exp MEV!!

Thank you! Feel free to post some pics if you have any. That goes for all the other MEV owners out there, I would love to see yours!

Congrats! I was later to the punch than you, but picked up a river blue MEV on early 2021. That is one articulate but aggressive guitar for sure!

It's just about as close to an everything in one guitar as you can get other than my Brian's run WL artist quilt 409 swamp Ash, which is a whole different beast to me!

Yours is beautiful! Nice review. Ive never been more satisfied with a guitar model than the MEV other than the close second .... Paul's guitar with TCI. MEV take PRS guitar diversity to a new level. The amount of usable sounds seems endless. I love both Humbuckers and especially the single coil settings. Anyway.... CONGRATS !!

Since this thread has gotten resurrected lately, I thought I could do a 9 month update.

Positives:
9 months later, the guitar is even better. Like new guitars tend to do, it has matured and settled into itself and is now even more resonant. Acoustically it sounds fantastic and it feels alive when playing, giving lots of tactile feedback.
The pickups still sound amazing in humbucker mode and the middle pickup gives a couple extra sounds in the second and fourth position that are very usable. I also really like the placement of the middle pickup, it really gets out of the way when picking.
It’s also visually absolutely stunning, even more so in person. It’s by far the prettiest guitar I own and maybe even the best looking guitar I’ve ever seen. All the woods are perfect and I’ve never seen mahogany with such pronounced flames as this one.

Negatives:
I still think that the split sounds are lackluster and sounds fairly thin and a bit ”plinky”. You can get a good sound out of them but if you set the amp up to sound good in humbucker mode, the split sounds are just too weak to be usable to me. I think it was a missed opportunity to not make them coil taps instead. My Special 22 Semi-Hollow limited does the single coil thing a lot better using coil taps. I’m thinking of modding the MEV with resistors on the mini switches to make them taps instead.
Also, the 250k/500k switch is super subtle and the difference is somewhere between small and nothing at all which essentially just turns it into yet another switch on the guitar.
Also, the bone nut sounds very nice but I prefer the regular PRS nut, that I think sounds equally good. The bone nut is a lot more prone to cause tuning issues and having to use a nut lube is a bit of a hassle.

So all in all, the guitar is amazing but not perfect. Still, it’s my favourite guitar together with the SSH. Everything I don’t like with it is easily outweighed by everything I like and I’m very grateful to be able to own and play a guitar as nice as this.

Last edited:
Also, the bone nut sounds very nice but I prefer the regular PRS nut, that I think sounds equally good. The bone nut is a lot more prone to cause tuning issues and having to use a nut lube is a bit of a hassle.
Thanks your for the review. I agree with your observation about the bone nut. I had consistent tuning issues with my MEV because of it. I had to tweak the slots with a nut file set and use a little graphite in the slots to completely eliminate the problem. No such issue with my 594 but it was a problem with the trem on the MEV.

Back